I don't really have anyone to help me analyse my games, so I thought I might do so on here in the hope that you might throw in some useful comments. If this turns into an enjoyable thread then I will put up other games that I play, at least it should motivate me to look over them as all the books encourage us to do. My ECF grade is barely a hundred, so those easily offended by idiocy might want to look away now.
I've tried to explain what I was hoping to achieve with my worst moves.
This is an end of tournament game, we're both on 2/4, neither of us can place in the tournament, but it's always nice to make at least 50% in an open tournament.
7. a3
I have played this opening all season, in order to get to know it. I will have a new opening for all of next season. My dark squared bishop occasionally proves a difficulty, h3 was played in order to allow me to play Be3 on move 8 before I put my QK on d2. Also since he put his bishop in fianchetto, I was hoping after Be3 to set up a battery with my queen and bishop and force the exchange of his important defensive piece with Bh6.
7. ...... Nd7 obviously puts paid to that plan, except.....
8. Be3?? I was so wrapped up in my own plan that I completely overlooked the fact that my opponents Knight move meant ploughing on regardless dropped a pawn and the exchange.
I feel like giving up on the spot, but hey, I was expected to lose the game anyway, and now all the pressure is on my opponent. Plus it is at least obvious (in my mind) what I must now do. If my opponent manages to castle and develop his pieces I will be smashed, so I tried to play active aggressive moves that forced him to respond. He may get my rook for his bishop, but I will get to develop two pieces whilst he mops up.
17. Qd4 (does anybody think I should have exchanged queens here? I don't think my move 17. Qd4 was very good, but I felt I had to keep the material on the board and on that basis Qd4 was the only move to stop my opponent castling. I planned to meet 17... Nxa4 with 18. c3
22. Qd6. I had seen the Knight fork on e2 and hoped it would tempt my opponent. I planned to meet it with Kf1 and Bg5.
26. Still trying desperately to keep on the board the pieces that might carry a threat.
35. ..... Kd8? One move before the time control, though I am the one who's short of time, and not my opponent. That's the benefit of being a sub 110 player, your opponents might just blunder something back to you.
37. ..... Rc6? and finally the game swings my way. Rc8 is obviously better as it accomplishes the same thing but removes the threat of my discovered attack....
FINAL POSITION
And I got to put to use the information I learned from a thread here last week on what constitues three fold repetition. I had less time on my clock than I would have liked, and a win or loss made little difference to the final standings, so I chickened out and allowed the repetition. I did feel I was winning at the end but I hadn't seen 44. d5 which would have allowed me to press the advantage. I'd assumed I needed to keep the pressure on with my queen, checking and picking up the g pawn - which would have led to the fall of my c pawn.