Chessbase 10

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
E Michael White
Posts: 1378
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Chessbase 10

Post by E Michael White » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:28 pm

in the last 2 weeks I have been getting this message when I try to access the ChessBase on-line database via ChessBase10.

*** ChessBase10 access to ChessBase Online Database expired.
We recommend to upgrade to the latest version of ChessBase. **

Has anyone else had this message ?

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2584
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Chessbase 10

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:34 pm

E Michael White wrote:in the last 2 weeks I have been getting this message when I try to access the ChessBase on-line database via ChessBase10.

*** ChessBase10 access to ChessBase Online Database expired.
We recommend to upgrade to the latest version of ChessBase. **

Has anyone else had this message ?
It's not a function I use, but I just tried it now and got the same message.

Richard Thursby
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am
Location: origin + pathname + search + hash

Re: Chessbase 10

Post by Richard Thursby » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:05 pm

I just checked my version of ChessBase Light 2009 Premium and received the same message.

E Michael White
Posts: 1378
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Re: Chessbase 10

Post by E Michael White » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:31 pm

Thanks for that gentlemen. It seems very inappropriate to me that ChessBase should withdraw this functionality when it was originally given as a feature to encourage purchases. I use it frequently especially when playing through my own games or preparing and will find alternatives less convenient.

What will they do next; withdraw knight moves from ChessBase12 ?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19080
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Chessbase 10

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:34 pm

E Michael White wrote: *** ChessBase10 access to ChessBase Online Database expired.
We recommend to upgrade to the latest version of ChessBase. **
I suppose that once all the useful practical features have been added to a software system, no-one is going to want to upgrade provided it runs without hissing on later computers and operating systems.

I googled for the original launch, it was in 2008.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/chebase-10 ... d-to-wait-

Limited time use of some of its features is not mentioned as a selling point.

You can access the online database through a browser
http://database.chessbase.com/js/apps/database/

I hadn't used it for a while, but I have the impression some of the features have been disabled unless you login. Needless to say, it considered my email address in a standard format of name@something.ispname.co.uk as invalid, so I was unable to test this.

Richard Thursby
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am
Location: origin + pathname + search + hash

Re: Chessbase 10

Post by Richard Thursby » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:23 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
I hadn't used it for a while, but I have the impression some of the features have been disabled unless you login. Needless to say, it considered my email address in a standard format of name@something.ispname.co.uk as invalid, so I was unable to test this.
The reason for that is the regular expression they are using to validate the email address [with apologies to those who don't read regexes, and apologies to you Roger if you have already worked this all out].

^([\w\.\-]+)@([\w\-]+)((\.(\w){2,3})+)$

The problem is that once you reach a full stop after the @, you can have either two or three word characters before another full stop. Hence, for example firstnamelastname@ispname.co.uk is fine, but firstname@lastname.ispname.co.uk is invalid because ispname has more than three characters.

Email addresss validation is a tricky business and there are trade-offs with whatever you allow or don't allow.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19080
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Chessbase 10

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:34 am

Richard Thursby wrote: Email addresss validation is a tricky business and there are trade-offs with whatever you allow or don't allow.
My email address for about the last fifteen years, if not longer, has been <three characters>@<six characters>.<five characters>.co.uk

I can change what's on the left hand side of the @, but not what's on the right hand side.

On the bright side, if it's not a valid email address according to some arbitrary rule, it prevents spam.

Brian Towers
Posts: 1255
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Chessbase 10

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:07 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: My email address for about the last fifteen years, if not longer, has been <three characters>@<six characters>.<five characters>.co.uk

I can change what's on the left hand side of the @, but not what's on the right hand side.
Yes you can. It's as easy as signing up for a gmail account or outlook account.
Roger de Coverly wrote: On the bright side, if it's not a valid email address according to some arbitrary rule, it prevents spam.
Erm ... I'm afraid I don't think the spammers are shooting themselves in the foot like that in the same way as Chessbase. I think Chessbase are "special" in that sense.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Post Reply