David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Post Reply
User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8382
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Post by John Upham » Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm

From the ECF site :

I am sorry to inform you that I am resigning, with immediate effect, from the post of Manager of Congress Chess. This is to preserve my remaining health. Any e-mails that I have failed to answer will need to be re-sent to my successor.
My grateful thanks to all the Office staff and the team who have been involved in running the British.
David Welch, Director of Home Chess

---------------

I'm very sorry to learn of this as I am big fan of David's. :(

I hope I can speak for everyone in wishing you the very best for the future and a return to good health! :D

John
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Charles W. Wood
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Post by Charles W. Wood » Thu May 01, 2008 3:14 pm

Here Here, David is a great activists and someone I look up to and use as a guiding light on many occasions. Get better soon. :D
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 22663
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 01, 2008 5:27 pm

It just says he resigns as a Manager not as a Director.

Elsewhere we learn that the ECF needs 5 directors to function legally. I suppose he would like to stand down as Director of Home Chess for health reasons but isn't allowed to until some other directors are appointed.

User avatar
Charles W. Wood
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Post by Charles W. Wood » Thu May 01, 2008 5:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:It just says he resigns as a Manager not as a Director.

Elsewhere we learn that the ECF needs 5 directors to function legally. I suppose he would like to stand down as Director of Home Chess for health reasons but isn't allowed to until some other directors are appointed.
I believe he has only stood down from one job. Manager post. His feelings are his, David is a great professional and will do what he sees fit to maintain his best interest at this time. We can not try and second guess what his thoughts are at this time. I just wish him a swift recovery.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

David Robertson

Re: David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Post by David Robertson » Fri May 02, 2008 8:44 pm

David Welch has gout.

He has resigned as Manager of Congress Chess, and therefore as Tournament Director for the British Championships in Liverpool.

He has resigned after having assumed at his own insistence full responsibility for delivering the British Championships.

He has resigned with gout eleven weeks before that event, with many things not done, no contract signed, and many things still to be done.

He has resigned without consultation with key people locally; he has resigned to a website.

He has left no contingency plan; he has resigned "with immediate effect" - with gout.

David Welch is, in the eyes of some, a 'professional'.

With Stewart Reuben as Acting Tournament Director, I must pick up the pieces from this 'professional'.

Goutless I will

David Robertson
Atticus CC

User avatar
Charles W. Wood
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Post by Charles W. Wood » Fri May 02, 2008 8:51 pm

David Robertson wrote:David Welch has gout.

He has resigned as Manager of Congress Chess, and therefore as Tournament Director for the British Championships in Liverpool.

He has resigned after having assumed at his own insistence full responsibility for delivering the British Championships.

He has resigned with gout eleven weeks before that event, with many things not done, no contract signed, and many things still to be done.

He has resigned without consultation with key people locally; he has resigned to a website.

He has left no contingency plan; he has resigned "with immediate effect" - with gout.

David Welch is, in the eyes of some, a 'professional'.

With Stewart Reuben as Acting Tournament Director, I must pick up the pieces from this 'professional'.

Goutless I will

David Robertson
Atticus CC
Gout ouch! Thats very painful.

But sorry to hear there are gaps to fill, I hope you can fill them. Sounds like you have some skill about you. If I can help I will.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

User avatar
Charles W. Wood
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat May 03, 2008 2:23 am

DavidFryer wrote:
David Robertson wrote:David Welch has gout.

He has resigned as Manager of Congress Chess, and therefore as Tournament Director for the British Championships in Liverpool.

He has resigned after having assumed at his own insistence full responsibility for delivering the British Championships.

He has resigned with gout eleven weeks before that event, with many things not done, no contract signed, and many things still to be done.

He has resigned without consultation with key people locally; he has resigned to a website.

He has left no contingency plan; he has resigned "with immediate effect" - with gout.

David Welch is, in the eyes of some, a 'professional'.

With Stewart Reuben as Acting Tournament Director, I must pick up the pieces from this 'professional'.

Goutless I will

David Robertson
Atticus CC
Good grief how much spite can you put in one posting.

Tournaments run by David Welch have always been a joy to play in with equal and fair treatment whether you be playing on the top boards or bottom boards. In my view David W is top class and if he is ill I wish him a quick recovery though it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't just sick of all the in fighting.
sometimes people need to put the ball down and good people pick it up, both i feel are good people and both need support.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

andrew martin

Re: David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Post by andrew martin » Sat May 03, 2008 8:44 am

Fans of the British will know how keen I am to ensure that this event is an ongoing success. This has ALWAYS been a flagship tournamen of the ECF and usually runs without a hitch. I have attended ,either as a player or commentator every British Championship since 1975. Anyone connected with this year's championship who needs some help ( incliding Dave R and Stewart) can get in touch with me on [email protected].

I can assure you that everything I am responsible for at this year's event in is place.

Andrew

User avatar
Charles W. Wood
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat May 03, 2008 12:00 pm

andrew martin wrote:Fans of the British will know how keen I am to ensure that this event is an ongoing success. This has ALWAYS been a flagship tournamen of the ECF and usually runs without a hitch. I have attended ,either as a player or commentator every British Championship since 1975. Anyone connected with this year's championship who needs some help ( incliding Dave R and Stewart) can get in touch with me on [email protected].

I can assure you that everything I am responsible for at this year's event in is place.

Andrew
I think Nick Nixon has his bits pretty much sorted, he might need a phone call updating him on everything first though.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 5177
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford
Contact:

Re: David Welch resigns as Manager of Congress Chess

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon May 05, 2008 11:34 pm

I will be there in my usual double capacity of player and bulletin officer.

Post Reply