I have a chess playing daughter who has entered the past 5 years of the British Junior events, but since she started playing when she was 8 years old, I notice that as the top players get older many of them play in other sections, or you don't see them at all. Why is this ?
Is there a problem with the prestige of the junior event or is there something else which affects juniors entering their correct age group section ?
Surely, this should be the event that all juniors want to enter.
I know this would mean a great deal of organisation, cost and time but wouldn't this be beneficial to the status of the junior event.
You would be limited to the six week school holiday still. This fact is important as many of us combine our yearly holiday with the event, and then the venue could also be better suited to the needs of families eg seaside resort. I think those of us who have to consider the needs of all family members can't always devote the time and money to accommodate just one chess playing family member.
There would also be a chance to consider the clash with any other junior international events eg the junior event is at the same time as the European Union Youth championships again.
PS
Be gentle with reply - written by non-chess playing concerned parent