Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
-
John Upham
- Posts: 8382
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
-
Contact:
Post
by John Upham » Fri May 09, 2008 6:21 pm
Anticipating a multi-candidate election for the currently unelected post of Manager of Congress Chess, I would like start the ball rolling with a nomination and suggestion.
The nomination : is Adam Raoof
The suggestion is : the post is salaried on a professional basis.
I believe Adam could do a superb job.
Have fun making other suggestions and nominations....

Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess

-
Neil Graham
- Posts: 2177
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm
Post
by Neil Graham » Fri May 09, 2008 9:10 pm
John at this time on the day I'm normally sorting out my Premier League Fantasy Football team for tomorrow. It's great fun transferring players in and out and having a cool £100 million to play with. Unfortunately I live in the real world and am trying to sort out my county chess team for tomorrow.
The ECF hasn't got money to pay people to be Manager of Congress Chess or indeed to pay anyone other than the office staff it has in post. Sam Allardyce would make a fine Manager of Congress Chess - he's from the North and not doing much at the moment. I understand that a Sven Goran Ericsson will soon be available for International Chess Director.
Where precisely are we going to get the money from to pay these people?
-
John Upham
- Posts: 8382
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
-
Contact:
Post
by John Upham » Fri May 09, 2008 9:13 pm
Neil Graham wrote:
he's from the North and not doing much at the moment.
Excellent qualifications : Let us approach him....

Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess

-
David Robertson
Post
by David Robertson » Fri May 09, 2008 10:06 pm
Frankly I don't care who it is as long as s/he is competent, reliable, and doesn't walk off the job with an ego-tantrum eleven weeks before the event. Previous candidates need not apply.
David Robertson
Atticus CC
-
Neil Graham
- Posts: 2177
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm
Post
by Neil Graham » Fri May 09, 2008 10:13 pm
David Robertson wrote: Previous candidates need not apply.
David Robertson
Atticus CC
That's me out then!!

-
Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
-
Contact:
Post
by Charles W. Wood » Fri May 09, 2008 10:17 pm
David Robertson wrote:Frankly I don't care who it is as long as s/he is competent, reliable, and doesn't walk off the job with an ego-tantrum eleven weeks before the event. Previous candidates need not apply.
David Robertson
Atticus CC
Does that go or all ex-directors going for directors jobs

I guess not.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
-
Stewart Reuben
- Posts: 4566
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
- Location: writer
Post
by Stewart Reuben » Fri May 09, 2008 11:04 pm
Perhaps you are teasing.
I was appointed Manager of Congress Chess Friday 2 May by David Welch. I had assumed Neil Graham would not be interested in resuming the role due to work commitments. I don't know Sam Allardyce from, I was going to say Adam, but of course I do know Adam Raoof.
I volunteered because I don't think any newcomer could run with the role at such short notice. I, of course, ran the British for 17 years.
Even in the years where I did receive a fee, it was not enough to compensate for the approximately equivalent of 6-8 weeks full time work.
Stewart Reuben
-
Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
-
Contact:
Post
by Charles W. Wood » Fri May 09, 2008 11:13 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:Perhaps you are teasing.
I was appointed Manager of Congress Chess Friday 2 May by David Welch. I had assumed Neil Graham would not be interested in resuming the role due to work commitments. I don't know Sam Allardyce from, I was going to say Adam, but of course I do know Adam Raoof.
I volunteered because I don't think any newcomer could run with the role at such short notice. I, of course, ran the British for 17 years.
Even in the years where I did receive a fee, it was not enough to compensate for the approximately equivalent of 6-8 weeks full time work.
Stewart Reuben
Good luck Stewart
After meeting you at the last concil meeting I can see you have a good mind and a good heart. Run things well. If that means you end up with the British please do phone Nick Nixon as he is meant to be going as coach in residence. If not please make sure the person running the British gets in touch with Nick he has moved mountains (meaning my comitments) to get to be free (ish) for that gig.
I hope you do well, and you enjoy the challenge as I enjoy the projects I do.

Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
-
Neil Graham
- Posts: 2177
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm
Post
by Neil Graham » Fri May 09, 2008 11:32 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:Perhaps you are teasing.
I was appointed Manager of Congress Chess Friday 2 May by David Welch. I had assumed Neil Graham would not be interested in resuming the role due to work commitments. I don't know Sam Allardyce from, I was going to say Adam, but of course I do know Adam Raoof.
I volunteered because I don't think any newcomer could run with the role at such short notice. I, of course, ran the British for 17 years.
Even in the years where I did receive a fee, it was not enough to compensate for the approximately equivalent of 6-8 weeks full time work.
Stewart Reuben
You assume perfectly correctly. Sam Allardyce is one of the many football managers dismissed this year; he lives in the north-west and must be at a loose end at present. Must have a bob or two in compensation as well so could be cheap!
-
Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
-
Contact:
Post
by Charles W. Wood » Sat May 10, 2008 12:51 am
Neil Graham wrote:Stewart Reuben wrote:Perhaps you are teasing.
I was appointed Manager of Congress Chess Friday 2 May by David Welch. I had assumed Neil Graham would not be interested in resuming the role due to work commitments. I don't know Sam Allardyce from, I was going to say Adam, but of course I do know Adam Raoof.
I volunteered because I don't think any newcomer could run with the role at such short notice. I, of course, ran the British for 17 years.
Even in the years where I did receive a fee, it was not enough to compensate for the approximately equivalent of 6-8 weeks full time work.
Stewart Reuben
You assume perfectly correctly. Sam Allardyce is one of the many football managers dismissed this year; he lives in the north-west and must be at a loose end at present. Must have a bob or two in compensation as well so could be cheap!
Hes was very good for Bolton.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
-
Greg Breed
- Posts: 723
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 am
- Location: Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
-
Contact:
Post
by Greg Breed » Sat May 10, 2008 8:27 pm
I voted for Adam. I like him. He's approachable and well organised. He's got the Golder's Green Rapidplay going which has probably now become the most successful event on the calendar!
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)