Hastings Congress

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Hastings Congress

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:43 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:06 am
comments were made that it is unbelievable that this is still happening.
I have a bit more sympathy than that. It is not obvious whether a phone is off or just playing dead.

During a recent league game I was suddenly struck by the thought that I could not remember turning off my own phone, which was in my coat pocket on the back of my chair. I asked my opponent, on my move, whether he would mind if I checked. Of course he didn't, it was on, I turned it off with no harm done. Is there any way I could have handled that at Hastings?

Another question. If I put my phone in a supplied bag and leave it at the arbiters' desk, then it goes off, am I in breach of the AC regulations? I feel that would be unfair, although I should certainly suffer some penalty for disturbing the tournament. To me, if your phone actually goes off in the playing hall, that is an indication that you are either not a cheat or a very poorly organised one.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 am

We just had a player fall asleep in the tournament hall. His first response, on being woken up by the arbiter, was to ask whether the arbiter was allowed to do that.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:06 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 pm
John Upham wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:12 pm
Anyone know what happened on board 45, Zheng - Patrick ?

Black's position is a bit nasty but that is to be expected after 4...Lc5 I suppose.
Something went wrong with the transmission. White won, but in considerably more than 8 moves.
Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:06 am
That's not what happened. Patrick's mobile went off, not very loudly but clearly audible to those in the immediate vicinity. They guy next to him on an adjacent board said you better switch that off quick before the arbiter comes around. Patrick then fiddled around his bag underneath the table trying to find it. Unsuccessfully as the phone then went very loud as the person ringing decided to leave a voicemail. Alex McF then approached the table to tell Patrick he had lost. Patrick who is Swedish was trying to say something but I couldn't make out what, perhaps he was trying to apologise but in any event he was asked "to take it outside" by one of the players comments were made that it is unbelievable that this is still happening.
During this incident, little Jerry Zheng, who is only 12 I think, never said a word or seemed aware that he could have claimed the game and looked like he would have just played on. Glad justice was done because if Alex hadn't come over I would have had to tell him myself and I was feeling very uneasy about the prospect of grassing someone up, but there you go.

Chris, and Alex, thank you for your comments.

I was shown a scoresheet bearing out my original comments. Perhaps I was looking at the wrong scoresheet. :?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:21 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 am
We just had a player fall asleep in the tournament hall. His first response, on being woken up by the arbiter, was to ask whether the arbiter was allowed to do that.
What is the answer?

edit : In one Bermuda Open, the wonderful Igor Ivanov, then a candidate for the "strongest IM in the world" title, decided that he needed a nap, so stretched out his substantial frame on the carpet behind his board. We would have been as likely to disturb him as to poke a sleeping grizzly bear with a stick.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:31 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:21 pm
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 am
What is the answer?
The answer is that yes, he was, because it's the arbiter's duty to seek medical attention if the player turns out to be seriously ill.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:36 pm

See my edit above.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:42 pm

Yes. And ought to penalise the player 2 minutes for being the cause of the disruption. :D

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:43 pm

During the Open National Championship a few years ago in SVK a Slovakian chess player (who drank at night) fell asleep on the table next his board and woke up after about 45 minutes . His opponent from Sweden stood up and waited until he woke up. It was degrading! I think in this case the arbiter need to have the right to stop the game.
Do we have any alcohol tolerance in Chess? Need to be.

The next example. My older daughter ( when she was 13) plaid the National Rapid Championship with drunken player ( it was long tempo rapid - 60 min.) She came to told me her opponent is drunk. I asked arbiter to change the opponent, he sent me out of the playing venue...for disturb a game.

I think, if there are not rules in chess for this occasion, in this second case l could call the local police, because nobody can not force to play a child with drunken.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:02 pm

"The answer is that yes, he was, because it's the arbiter's duty to seek medical attention if the player turns out to be seriously ill."

True. It reminds me of the guy on a bus who was staring into space so the police were called. They spoke to the passenger who just stared into space, so they tasered him twice, threw him into a van, and headed off for the police station. En route, they searched him and found a nice little bracelet reading, "I am diabetic, if I collapse, please help." Oops.

I think you should be able to complain if the opponent is drunk. That's unpleasant for anybody, not only juniors.

There have been cases at Hastings where one of the players woke the arbiter...

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Thank you. I think so.

l plaid in Blackpool and my game turned bad very shortly. I told to my opponent, my suger level was extremly high before the game and was no time to lower it so shortly. And my opponent who was also an insuline enjections dependent told me that l could asked arbiter to start my game 15 minutes later.
But l think, in this case l have not right for it. It was my mistake that l ate too much. The same like you drink before the game and you ask arbiter to wait when your alcohol level in blood drops.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Anyone here able to follow the action at Hastings today?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Presumably not. We will miss out on seeing Richard getting his customary winning position ...

Michael Bennett

Post by Michael Bennett » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:06 pm

Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Ah! Much appreciated, thanks.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:32 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:02 pm
I think you should be able to complain if the opponent is drunk.
Except in Irish weekenders or the Beer & Blitz :wink: