European Seniors 10-18 February 2010

The very latest International round up of English news.
Post Reply
LozCooper

European Seniors 10-18 February 2010

Post by LozCooper » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:33 am

12th European Senior Team-Chess-Championship 10th–18th Feb 2010 Dresden
http://www.schachfestival.de/www_festiv ... 154f5a.php

The Russian team led by Vitaly Tseshkovsky won all 9 matches to power to victory ahead of Switzerland led by Viktor Korchnoi and Finland led by Heikki Westerninen. Congratulations to Scotland who performed well above their seeding to finish 10th. Craig Pritchett was top board and only lost one game. England 1 finished 30th whilst Wales finished 42nd, England 2 finished 61st and Scotland 78th.

Rank MNo Team TVI S R V Man.Pkt. Brt.Pkt. Buchh
Board TlnKen Participants TVI S R V Points Book SoBerg

30 25 England 1 2159 4 2 3 10-8 19.0 78.0
1 James, Geoffrey H 2203 3 3 1 4.5 - 2.5 26.0 15:25
2 Macdonald-Ross, Michael 2176 1 4 1 3.0 - 3.0 27.0 13:00
3 Norman, Kenneth I. 2172 2 5 1 4.5 - 3.5 33.0 17.75
4 Scholes, James E 2115 1 6 1 4.0 - 4.0 29.5 13.75
5 Wheeler, John F 2129 1 4 2 3.0 - 4.0 27.5 12:00

61 61 England 2 1971 3 1 5 7 to 11 17.0 60.0
1 Kendall, Paul S N 2069 4 2 1 5.0 - 2.0 21.0 12:50
2 Wilson, Peter J B. 1995 1 2 5 2.0 - 6.0 28.5 4:25
3 Pemberton, Clive H 1897 2 1 4 2.5 - 4.5 25.5 5.75
4 Wood, Peter C 1904 3 1 3 3.5 - 3.5 27.0 11.75
5 Scowen, Roger 1990 3 2 2 4.0 - 3.0 19.5 9:50

10 22 Scotland 1 2172 5 2 2 12-6 21.5 92.0
1 Pritchett, Craig 2366 4 4 1 6.0 - 3.0 39.0 23.75
2 Bonner, Gerald 2179 4 4 1 6.0 - 3.0 38.0 26.25
3 White, Alastair F 2123 3 3 3 4.5 - 4.5 42.5 17:00
4 Borwell, Alan P 2018 3 4 2 5.0 - 4.0 33.5 15:00

42 35 Wales 2108 4 1 4 9 to 9 17.5 77.0
1 Jones, Iolo C 2290 3 3 1 4.5 - 2.5 25.5 14:00
2 Bennett, Patrick 2087 1 4 2 3.0 - 4.0 29.5 10:25
3 Thornton, John D 2097 2 3 3 3.5 - 4.5 37.5 13.75
4 Taylor, Robert Graham 2027 2 2 3 3.0 - 4.0 26.0 10:00
5 Van Kemenade, Rudy 2039 2 3 2 3.5 - 3.5 29.0 12:25

78 74 Scotland 2 1782 0 2 7 2-16 9.5 56.0
1 Flockhart, Hugh 1871 0 3 6 1.5 - 7.5 36.0 5:25
2 Murphy, George 1685 1 5 3 3.5 - 5.5 31.5 11:25
3 Macgilchrist, Siegrun 1817 1 2 6 2.0 - 7.0 23.0 3:00
4 Macrae, James S 1753 1 3 5 2.5 - 6.5 27.5 6.75

Lawrence Cooper
Director of International Chess
English Chess Federation 23/02/10

Leonard Barden
Posts: 2044
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: European Seniors 10-18 February 2010

Post by Leonard Barden » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:33 pm

What a pity the ECF doesn't take this event seriously and try to send a really strong team.

Back in 1967 the England team beat the Soviet Union 3-1 in the Student Olympiad at Harrachov, Czechoslovakia, a harbinger of the rich successes of the 1970s and 1980s. That team are now all eligible for the European Senior team , and in the next few years other top English players will follow, as will strong masters who have retired and might be persuaded to come back (Corden, Markland).

With a proper team, we would have a far better chance of a medal in this competition than in almost all the junior events which now have priority.

Like it or not, the active chess population is aging rapidly. These players are potentiallly a valuable income source to the ECF via legacies. The ECF may need such income if the government grant is stopped The Marketing Director could go to firms which are geared to the older market and ask for sponsorship which would allow a gold medal candidate team to go to Dresden and win. There should also be a Senior Director who can fight the corner for older players.

Instead both the European Senior team and the ECF's own Senior Championship receive minimal support and publicity.

James Pratt
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: European Seniors 10-18 February 2010

Post by James Pratt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:05 pm

Loz,what do the last two sets of digits mean?? 27 and then 12:15?

James :shock:

LozCooper

Re: European Seniors 10-18 February 2010

Post by LozCooper » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:01 pm

James Pratt wrote:Loz,what do the last two sets of digits mean?? 27 and then 12:15?

James :shock:
The headings are at the top although I admit they are abbreviations. I believe they are both tie-breaks.Possibly some combination of sum of opponent's scores and sum of progressive scores! I admit I did compile it in a hurry as it was pointed out I'd not reported it so apologies for the rushed nature of the report.

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 3827
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: European Seniors 10-18 February 2010

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Sadly Mr Barden you are correct.

The the active chess population is aging rapidly.

When I visit tournaments all I see is the same people I was playing against
in the 70's and 80's. The group of new faces is shrinking.

I'm sure others of my generation feel the same.

Agree this is an untapped source and although I have had my wee joke
at the boys, I feel I can because in a few months time, I'll be eligable to play.

Your post has been re-posted in the CS forum where hopefully it will
get a proper debate as here and some good ideas will come from it.

The Scots lads did very well 6th/10th from field of 78 and I hope
that the board up there read your post and act accordingly.

I fear for the future of OTB chess.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: European Seniors 10-18 February 2010

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:08 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:I fear for the future of OTB chess
I did a few years ago, but maybe less so now. My own club has in the last couple of years acquired a bit of "new blood" for the first time in ages, and I know of others nearby in a similar happy position :)

Maybe the economic downturn has something to do with it - some people with more time on their hands?

Will be going to Blackpool next weekend - so will be making observations on this there, no doubt.......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Post Reply