(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Cuba off the list after a drop in cases

Gibraltar not on the list despite a rate nearly 5 times higher than Switzerland
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:05 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:37 pm
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:19 pm
I think we need to move to these types of measures to restart OtB, while protecting people and keeping the OTB experience as normal as possible.
Some people think that wearing a nappy on your face is normal. Some don't.
Well, I don't think we can be for a while in a fully "normal" mode.
Then what remains is a choice every player and organiser has to make: is it "normal" enough, safe enough and legal to play and enjoy the experience?
Different players will have different answers for a given set of measures.

Were I a player, I wouldn't enjoy playing with a mask, but if the alternative would be no OtB, I am not sure what would my decision be.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:04 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:05 pm
Then what remains is a choice every player and organiser has to make: is it "normal" enough, safe enough and legal to play and enjoy the experience?
With venues operating at, say, one third normal capacity, there's also the finances to consider.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:

Were I a player, I wouldn't enjoy playing with a mask, but if the alternative would be no OtB, I am not sure what would my decision be.
Well I started writing a reply to this (in disagreement with you) until I read your comment more carefully. Did you intend it to say what it does say?

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:29 pm

I genuinely don't know what I would do if I were a chess player faced with no chess versus 5 hours at the board with a mask.
30 minutes at the supermarket is fine, 2 hours in a train very irritating. 5 hours? Tough. Would be a tug between enjoyment of chess OtB versus the inconvenience.

As a chess parent, the decision is selfishly easier. If there is a good fide rated tournament with masks, I would probably bring my son to it. :lol:
To be fair, he would beg me to take him to it.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:29 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 pm
Wadih Khoury wrote:

Well I started writing a reply to this (in disagreement with you) until I read your comment more carefully. Did you intend it to say what it does say?
I don't see how the comment could have been clearer. How were you intending to disagree with it?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:19 am

If it's ok with you all, I would like to start a Topic the next couple of days titled: Reopening Chess Clubs.
I've been speaking to people around the country about what is happening at their chess clubs.
Some have opened, some are thinking about opening and a few have already decided not to open until next year.
Just wandering what is happening at each of your clubs.
I would prefer no political debate on the new Topic.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:19 am
If it's ok with you all, I would like to start a Topic the next couple of days titled: Reopening Chess Clubs.
A problem faced is identifying the real risks from the fantasy ones. Why for example is the sequence move, write move, press clock a reduction in risk against move, press clock, write move? Should chess clubs be concerned about the relative location of 5G masks to their premises?

If it's still illegal to invite a half a dozen or more people to your house to play a five minute tournament, why is it legal to do the same in external premises?

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:08 pm
Why for example is the sequence move, write move, press clock a reduction in risk against move, press clock, write move?
I think this idea arose due to miscommunication. Indeed my feeling is that pressing the clock after writing the move is more likely to bring the players closer together than the more normal procedure.
In general the best situation is for the opponent to sit back as the player on the move makes that move.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:08 pm
If it's still illegal to invite a half a dozen or more people to your house to play a five minute tournament, why is it legal to do the same in external premises?
Actually I think you are now allowed to have a gathering of up to 30 people in your house. But I have no idea why it's legal to have a gathering of more than 30 as long as the premises are not a private dwelling.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:29 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:07 pm
Indeed my feeling is that pressing the clock after writing the move is more likely to bring the players closer together than the more normal procedure.
My feeling is that players who are bothered about these details will not be playing anyway, and nor should they. They will not enjoy their games and their unhappiness will be transmitted to those around them.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:25 pm

I think today Hastings was officially cancelled for December. I think England is still waiting for its first FIDE event to get scheduled.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Pardubice's Total Statistics now shows 482 entries! But I am not sure how this is being calculated

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:47 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:25 pm
I think today Hastings was officially cancelled for December. I think England is still waiting for its first FIDE event to get scheduled.
Cancelled on Saturday - announced today at official website and at my blogspot after prompting from me (original announcement mislaid, it seems). I have spent the last 30 New Years in Hastings - what else is there to do on Dec 31?

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:54 pm

I've just seen in the section ECF Matters under Topic Membership Renewal that it has been mentioned " that Cleveland Chess Association has suspended all Chess until sometime in the new year".
I assume that just means OTB.