A game I enjoyed

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nicky Chorley

A game I enjoyed

Post by Nicky Chorley » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:43 am

I'm playing lots of correspondence games these days, on chess.com, lichess.org as well as through the ICCF, while we wait for OTB chess to resume when it's safe to do so. I particularly enjoyed this game and my opponent made the unwise decision to open up his king after castling long, instead of playing on the kingside.

I haven't done any serious analysis, but some notes:

14. ... Bxb4 looks like it should be a safe pawn; I just missed that.

17. Kc2 a5 younger me would have just played Nc4 likely without hesitation, but I realise now that it gets in the way of my other pieces and opening up the king is better to give me more chances to attack.

29. ... Bxf6 I think is best there. Taking with the knight means it leaves the wonderful outpost and I'd waste time bringing it back and taking with the pawn makes the king a bit unsafe and even though I'm material up now, I wonder if White would have some counterplay since the major pieces are still on.

37. ... Bf1 I enjoyed playing this move taking away more squares from the king. The idea I saw was to bring the other bishop to c1 and the king to f5 or h5 before ending with Rxe3#. It's not forced, since the rook should be able to defend the first rank, but I would need to get the dark squared bishop in somehow in any case.

Nick Ivell

Re: A game I enjoyed

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:25 am

It was certainly unwise to castle on the Q-side, and then play those weakening pawn moves.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:52 am

Hi Nicky,

A good fun game, always enjoyable when your opponent opens up the files v their King for you.

Round about 1978/79 I was 8-9 moves in on the Black side of a Benko Gambit, I had the open 'a' and b-files
and of course the Bishop on g7 when my opponent suddenly played 0-0-0(!) the game lasted just a few moves after that.

Here (Black to play)

Nothing wrong with 31...Qb5, I would have gone for 31...Qb6 with threats of 32...Bb5 and 32....Rc3.
Kings and Queens on the same diagonal when possessing the two Bishops are, to me, moths to a flame
and Rc3 ties the White Queen to holding the e3 Bishop thus opening up the box of overloaded Queen combo's.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:52 pm

Castling queenside without playing dxc5 is usually a bad idea for white in the Steinitz French, and black can often launch a fierce attack by means of ...c4 and ...b5-b4.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:27 pm

Castling queenside was wrong. It just gave you an easy target and the initiative.
For me, I have a number of games that I have enjoyed playing over the years for various reasons. Mostly wins but a couple of losses aswell.
From the top of my head, the games I have enjoyed the most are:
1. My loss to GM Nigel Short with black in a simul.
2. My first competitive Italian Game win against Nick Fawcett in the league.
3. My win against John Cooper when I played 1. b6
4. My draw against Bob Taylor, when he used to play for Preston. I played the KIA for the first time.
5. Three wins of mine against Brett Lunds' English Opening.
6. My win a couple of years ago against Phil Taylor's Alekhine.
7. Two wins white and Black v Oleg Cukovs.
8. My draw against Roy Ellames.
My last game at Blackpool Congress, which I should've lost.
Two games in South Lakes and Blackpool Congresses against Tony Robinson and Phil Foley (Upminster), both ended in draws but quite messy.
There was a win of mine against Henrick Stepanyan, when he was a junior at the Blackpool Congress. We had a large audience for the last half of the game. I think it was another KIA.
I would like to post these games gradually in General Chat and Chess Questions.
I would like to post one of our Ukrainian CMs games, when she was a junior against another Ukrainian who is now a WGM and she also played at last year's Isle of Man Tournament.
I hope that's ok with you all.
Many thanks.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:51 pm

One of my last OTB games before "The Lockdown".
Pity the last 2 moves spoil an interesting miniature.
Paul Robert Jackson

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 pm

I thought you were a bit unlucky in the game Paul. Andrew is a very good player and can find some unexpected moves.