Invisible pieces

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Gerard Killoran

Re: Invisible pieces

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:46 pm

Rather than taking the time to go back over his article and compare it with the sources he has misquoted, Nigel Short prefers to tell me to 'grow up'. I'll leave others to decide who is the adult in this room.

It is obvious that New in Chess published Nigel Short's article without any fact-checking. I found that the grey and white matter statement was false straight away. It was obviously absurd and no self-respecting publication would have printed it, especially these dayswhen any sub-editor has access to the internet. The editor should apologise if Mr. Short isn't big enough.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:58 pm

I should point out that even now, eight pages in, we are discussing not the experiences of women in chess, as per the piece for which this thread is named, but the statements and personality of Nigel.Short, as per my remarks above on trolling. Perhaps if we could segue from the second topic to the first, it would benefit us all.
Last edited by JustinHorton on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Agree with that. It should also be possible to have the discussion without getting into the area of hard science and accepting that there are differences of opinion which we are not going to resolve.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:26 pm

Seconded

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:02 pm

https://twitter.com/LaraWierenga/status ... 9086566400

The largest-ever mega-analysis of sex differences in variability of brain structure.
"This study shows greater mean and variance for males in subcortical volumes and cortical surface area and thickness"
"Greater male variance is observed in both upper and lower extremities even when mean sex differences and overall brain size is accounted for."
"We hypothesize that extreme brain structure (in both directions) may come at a cost and may relate to increased male vulnerability."

So a large part (perhaps the largest) single factor of male dominance in the field of chess is simply down to statistics and the sheer numerical dominance of men.
Next we have varied and well documented cultural/sociological phenomena that act to hold back females from expressing/developing their full potential.
Finally there are physiological differences between male/female brains that may additionally give males a further advantage.

Point 3 is the least understood. Even if it is true, it likely has the least effect on limiting females in the field of chess. So to bang this particular drum, seems at best to be disproportionate, and at worst down to a different underlying agenda.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:26 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:02 pm
https://twitter.com/LaraWierenga/status ... 9086566400

The largest-ever mega-analysis of sex differences in variability of brain structure.
"This study shows greater mean and variance for males in subcortical volumes and cortical surface area and thickness"
"Greater male variance is observed in both upper and lower extremities even when mean sex differences and overall brain size is accounted for."
"We hypothesize that extreme brain structure (in both directions) may come at a cost and may relate to increased male vulnerability."

So a large part (perhaps the largest) single factor of male dominance in the field of chess is simply down to statistics and the sheer numerical dominance of men.
Next we have varied and well documented cultural/sociological phenomena that act to hold back females from expressing/developing their full potential.
Finally there are physiological differences between male/female brains that may additionally give males a further advantage.

Point 3 is the least understood. Even if it is true, it likely has the least effect on limiting females in the field of chess. So to bang this particular drum, seems at best to be disproportionate, and at worst down to a different underlying agenda.
I was amused by one of the tweets in reply "But Gina Rippon says.."

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:11 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:40 pm
I'm almost sure an Open team at the last Olympiad had a woman on top board, though I can't remember which team and I don't think it was somewhere with a large pool of players (nor does it follow that they were necessarily the highest-rated player).
St Lucia?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:25 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:46 pm
Rather than taking the time to go back over his article and compare it with the sources he has misquoted, Nigel Short prefers to tell me to 'grow up'. I'll leave others to decide who is the adult in this room.

It is obvious that New in Chess published Nigel Short's article without any fact-checking. I found that the grey and white matter statement was false straight away. It was obviously absurd and no self-respecting publication would have printed it, especially these dayswhen any sub-editor has access to the internet. The editor should apologise if Mr. Short isn't big enough.
I suggest you:

1) Write to New in Chess, where the article was published.
2) Say that you found a single mistake in an article written five years ago.
3) Demand an apology in outraged tones.
4) Grow up.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:34 pm

Viktoria Cmilyte is currently Lithuania #1.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Nigel Short wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:25 pm
Gerard Killoran wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:46 pm

I suggest you:

1) Write to New in Chess, where the article was published.
2) Say that you found a single mistake in an article written five years ago.
3) Demand an apology in outraged tones.
4) Grow up.
I doubt that Dirk Jan ten Guezendam will hold up his hands and resign in disgrace. He has always seemed a singularly laid back fellow. But he is also a very polite Dutchman and if you drop him a pleasant note, Gerard, I am sure that he will reply. Why don't you try it and let us know how you get on.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:54 pm

And perhaps it's time, as Justin rightly keeps reminding everyone, to revert to the topic in hand.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:58 pm

John Moore wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:54 pm
And perhaps it's time, as Justin rightly keeps reminding everyone, to revert to the topic in hand.
Although I am not sure that Nigel defending his point of view is off topic given the article contains direct criticism of him and it. Admittedly I'm familiar with his argument and I think it is wrong, but still.

I was interested to read that Gina Rippon had commented directly on chess. Does anyone have that link?

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:02 pm

I was not aware that Gina Rippon had made any comment on chess, Paul. Where did you pick that up?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:04 pm

From the article "Short and Repková’s claims of some kind of inherently gendered neurological skillset have been specifically referred to by Gina Rippon as simply a reframing of the argument that women are less intelligent than men".

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Ah, I'd forgotten that.