Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Post Reply
David Sedgwick
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon
Contact:

Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:12 pm

Please see below for the match result sheet of Yorkshire v Middlesex in the 1936 Counties Championship Semi-Finals. It was unearthed by Rupert Jones in the Leeds Chess Club archives.

Please note that Middlesex won 8-4. On Board 1 H E Atkins and W Winter drew.
Attachments
Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936.jpg
Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936.jpg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 2528 times

Leonard Barden
Posts: 2044
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pm

Could you supply a typed version of the names, David? I can decipher most of them, but not all.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 6662
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:37 pm

Board 2, AY Green (Supply) vs EG Sergeant (Inland Revenue) is an all Civil Service clash (although it might not have been then). Green later worked for Board of Trade and then Ministry of Aviation.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon
Contact:

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:28 am

Leonard Barden wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pm
Could you supply a typed version of the names, David? I can decipher most of them, but not all.
My copy isn't any clearer than the one in the attachment. I'll ask Rupert Jones, who has the original.

User avatar
Gerard Killoran
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:06 am

Leonard Barden wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pm
Could you supply a typed version of the names, David? I can decipher most of them, but not all.
Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 12 October 1936 p2.png
Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 12 October 1936 p2.png (409.57 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
A 'miserable worm' - Nigel Short

Leonard Barden
Posts: 2044
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:16 am

Thanks for that.

I knew at least six of that Middlesex team. Was D I Croker, who I''ve never heard of, a relative of Eric Croker?

User avatar
Gerard Killoran
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:44 pm

Leonard Barden wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:16 am
Thanks for that.

I knew at least six of that Middlesex team. Was D I Croker, who I''ve never heard of, a relative of Eric Croker?
Identified by Britbase (BCF 1935) as Douglas Ian Croker of London.

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar.png
England & Wales, National Probate Calendar.png (176.85 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
A 'miserable worm' - Nigel Short

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 6662
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:15 pm

I didn't spot it was "J" Bronowski, (also CS) but now realise, that the hand-written version was saying "Dr".

John Townsend
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by John Townsend » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:31 pm

Leonard, I have deduced, making use of Gerard's gen, that the two Crokers were not brothers or half-brothers, so the closest they could be is uncle/nephew or cousins.

Leonard Barden
Posts: 2044
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks, Gerard and John. Good research!

User avatar
Gerard Killoran
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by Gerard Killoran » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:53 pm

A 'miserable worm' - Nigel Short

User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936

Post by John Saunders » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:31 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:53 pm
Thanks, Gerard. I'd already collected that one - it was in The Times, 12 October 1936, page 8.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Post Reply