Nigel Short's Games

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Post Reply
User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Nigel Short's Games

Post by John Saunders » Thu May 25, 2023 9:16 am

A major new initiative for BritBase - a collection of Nigel Short's games...

https://www.saund.org.uk/britbase/pgn/s ... iewer.html

Initially there are 269 games from his earliest period (1974-1981) - games from later on will be added to in due course. This is thought to be around 70 more than have previously appeared online or in commercial databases for the equivalent period.

Nigel and I have worked together on this. He contributed a few dozen previously unpublished games and I gathered together a similar number which hadn't yet been digitised. Of course it is not just about quantity and we're trying as far as possible to date games and find further details and sources to corroborate them, as well as proofreading the scores of these and previously published games.

As you will probably appreciate the initial file is far from complete. There are some very able chess detectives on this forum and it is our hope that they can help expand this collection from their personal game collections, or from games that they have found elsewhere. Also, some of the earliest games (provisionally dated 1975) have only the sketchiest details and need further investigation. Please read the notes I have appended to the file for further details of what's on the file and how you can help. Please send game scores and info to me by email (link below) or simply post them here.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10981
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu May 25, 2023 1:10 pm

Is it primarily dates you are after for the early games? I noticed the BBC TV games don't have exact dates. Is it the date the game was played that is needed, or the range of dates of the broadcasts (probably both, unless they were live games)? There is one given a date of 1976 and then some from 1980/81 and 1981/82. If it helps, the Radio Times archive will likely have the broadcast dates (though I suspect these are listed elsewhere as well).

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

(There are 2,124 hits when searching for "chess" if anyone is interested in delving into that...

Earliest result from 1923:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/ea6224acd98 ... bf91960b64

Sat 16th Jun 1923, 22:00 on 2LO London
Men's Talk, Mr B.C. Laws, "The Art of the Chess Problem". 2LO Dance Band, foxtrot "Shuffling along," foxtrot "Zenda," one-step "Ain't got a minute," valse "Three o'clock the morning," foxtrot "Maggie Blues," foxtrot "Who tied the can the old dog's tail"

BBC Radio had only just started around 6 months earlier!

Erm, back to Nigel Short and the 1970s!)

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20 ... ort%22#top

127 hits for "Nigel Short". All the Master Games he played should be detailed there in terms of broadcast dates.

EDIT: Beware OCR errors, as witness the above "B.C. Laws" (actually B.G. [Benjamin Glover] Laws).

User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by John Saunders » Thu May 25, 2023 2:57 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑
Thu May 25, 2023 1:10 pm
Is it primarily dates you are after for the early games? I noticed the BBC TV games don't have exact dates. Is it the date the game was played that is needed, or the range of dates of the broadcasts (probably both, unless they were live games)? There is one given a date of 1976 and then some from 1980/81 and 1981/82. If it helps, the Radio Times archive will likely have the broadcast dates (though I suspect these are listed elsewhere as well).
Glad you mentioned the BBC games, Chris. Ideally it's the dates played I would like to have though that is more difficult since the tournaments weren't reported in the usual way. So far I've not been able to establish the precise date of any of them! But, no matter, I guess the nearest month will do for now. It would be good to know where they were played, too.

Generally I'm looking for dates but other details as well - in some cases confirmation that the game was played at all. Some of the games marked 1975 are very sketchy and might not have involved Nigel at all. Any or all of the header data might be wrong. This might be as a result of a ChessBase software meltdown on anybody's computer, most probably back in the 1990s when the software could be really flaky. (I remember once suffering a particularly horrible glitch when game scores suddenly switched their allegiance to completely different game headers, rendering the database useless.)

That said, those early scores are at least plausible and worthy of investigation by the forum's team of chess detectives. But we decided the following one really isn't. I did NOT add it to the Short file (and I'd advise people not to add it to theirs)...



Neither Nigel nor Jon Speelman recognise it as one of their games (though they both admit to failing memories), and there was no such thing as the English Championship. It comes from the StarBase 4.56 database sold by Sid Pickard and co in the early 2000s, which was decidedly variable in quality. I've not been able to figure out the game score's provenance. Nevertheless, though it's in the reject pile, I'd be curious to know if anyone can recognise the moves from a database somewhere and discover if somebody actually played these moves, when and where.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10981
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu May 25, 2023 9:23 pm

Have been playing through the three games Nigel apparently lost against a computer in a blitz tournament in 1978. Nice back-rank tactics (over several moves) in the first one. Did Nigel really allow a mate in 1 in the second game below and then drop a rook in the third game? Those feel more like early computer 'blunders'? (Apologies if these are Nigel making blunders in time trouble! EDIT: And I see the second game was lost already. More a desparado.)







EDIT: I see now that the blitz games (as would be expected) were not entirely serious games. Fun to play through them though (Nigel beat the computer more times than he lost).

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10981
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu May 25, 2023 9:47 pm

A final comment for now: I do like the self-published annotations to the games contributed from "Forever a 180" by Oliver Jackson. There is only one win by Mr Jackson against Nigel, but it is quite a nice one.



(There are some nice wins by Nigel in the games collection as well! :D )

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu May 25, 2023 10:33 pm

Of course at the end 41 Qb4+ mates a move quicker :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by John Saunders » Fri May 26, 2023 1:17 am

In the space of a day the number of games in the Short file for 1974-1981 has gone up by 16 game entries to a running total of 285. My thanks to all those who have responded so promptly to my appeal for games and info: in no particular order, Simon Brown, Mark Page, Bob Taylor, Sean Coffey, Kevin Thurlow, Andy Ansel, John Swain and Chris Kreuzer. Retrospective thanks are also due to the late, great John Littlewood: I remembered that I had been sent a file of his games by Phil Adams some time ago, some of which feature JEL's typically robust comments. I've included four more of his games. I know that some of you are also enjoying Oliver Jackson's similarly entertaining annotations on his encounters with Nigel. Do keep them coming...
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Nick Ivell
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat May 27, 2023 3:09 pm

Apologies for my lack of modesty in presenting the masterpiece Ivell v Short, Fylde League v Bolton, 1976:

1. Nc3 d5 2. d4 e6 3. Bf4 b6 4. g3 c5 5. e3 cd 6.ed a6 7. Bg2 Nc6 8. Nf3 Bb7 9. 0-0 Nf6 10. Re1 Be7 11. Ne5 b5 12. a3 Rc8 13. h4 Qb6 14.Nxc6 Qxc6 15. Re3 a5? 16.Bf1 Ba6 17. Qe2 Qb6 18. a4 Bb4 19. Nxb5 0-0 20. c3 Be7 21. h5 Rc4 22. h6 g6 23. Bg5 Qd8? 24. Rxe6 Bxb5 25. Rxe7 Rc7 26. ab 1-0

It wasn't long after this game that Nigel overtook me, and was soon way out of sight...

User avatar
Paolo Casaschi
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:46 am

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sat May 27, 2023 7:03 pm

Nick Ivell wrote: ↑
Sat May 27, 2023 3:09 pm
Apologies for my lack of modesty in presenting the masterpiece Ivell v Short, Fylde League v Bolton, 1976:

1. Nc3 d5 2. d4 e6 3. Bf4 b6 4. g3 c5 5. e3 cd 6.ed a6 7. Bg2 Nc6 8. Nf3 Bb7 9. 0-0 Nf6 10. Re1 Be7 11. Ne5 b5 12. a3 Rc8 13. h4 Qb6 14.Nxc6 Qxc6 15. Re3 a5? 16.Bf1 Ba6 17. Qe2 Qb6 18. a4 Bb4 19. Nxb5 0-0 20. c3 Be7 21. h5 Rc4 22. h6 g6 23. Bg5 Qd8? 24. Rxe6 Bxb5 25. Rxe7 Rc7 26. ab 1-0

It wasn't long after this game that Nigel overtook me, and was soon way out of sight...

User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by John Saunders » Sat May 27, 2023 8:10 pm

Nick Ivell wrote: ↑
Sat May 27, 2023 3:09 pm
Apologies for my lack of modesty in presenting the masterpiece Ivell v Short, Fylde League v Bolton, 1976:

1. Nc3 d5 2. d4 e6 3. Bf4 b6 4. g3 c5 5. e3 cd 6.ed a6 7. Bg2 Nc6 8. Nf3 Bb7 9. 0-0 Nf6 10. Re1 Be7 11. Ne5 b5 12. a3 Rc8 13. h4 Qb6 14.Nxc6 Qxc6 15. Re3 a5? 16.Bf1 Ba6 17. Qe2 Qb6 18. a4 Bb4 19. Nxb5 0-0 20. c3 Be7 21. h5 Rc4 22. h6 g6 23. Bg5 Qd8? 24. Rxe6 Bxb5 25. Rxe7 Rc7 26. ab 1-0

It wasn't long after this game that Nigel overtook me, and was soon way out of sight...
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the game. Do you happen to have the exact date it was played?
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Nick Ivell
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat May 27, 2023 8:25 pm

I decipher 18 September from my scoresheet. It must have been some inaugural match to the season - board 4 as I recall.

I've no idea how the match went.

User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by John Saunders » Sat May 27, 2023 8:49 pm

Nick Ivell wrote: ↑
Sat May 27, 2023 8:25 pm
I decipher 18 September from my scoresheet. It must have been some inaugural match to the season - board 4 as I recall.

I've no idea how the match went.
Thanks, Nick, much appreciated.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Paul Cooksey
Posts: 2044
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat May 27, 2023 9:31 pm

Jobava London, Alpha Zero pawn to h6, tactical finish. All very nice. Nick clearly a man ahead of his time.

Nick Ivell
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by Nick Ivell » Tue May 30, 2023 5:15 pm

Thank you! Fact is, I caught Nigel at the right time.

Bracket me with Abe Turner...

Simon Rogers
Posts: 2447
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Nigel Short's Games

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed May 31, 2023 9:33 am

The only time I played Nigel Short was in a simul at Blackburn back in December 2010.
Nigel played twenty Lancashire players, Martyn Hamer won the best game prize, I was the second last to finish after nearly four hours of play.
Nigel complemented me after the game and said that I was "very tenacious".
I still have a copy of the very lengthy game.
My close friend Marjorie Ellison would have some of her late husband, George Ellison's games against Nigel Short from that era including when Nigel played at George's house.
I'll ask Marjorie to have a look for them the next time I ring her.

Post Reply