(1) International Women's Chess Tournament at Emmen (1957)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1404442433
I think it is the woman on the left who is Hilda Chater, a brief biography of whom is here:
https://www.ulsterchess.org/archives/pl ... cal-sketch
She is playing Dutch player Fenny Heemskerk.
EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenny_Heemskerk
(2) Danlonlustrum chess tournament (1960)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485913047
Quite a few pictures available from this tournament. Fenny Heemskerk is (I think) standing at right in the first photo, and also features in this one as well.
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485897864
(3) 26th Highoven chess tournament in Beverwijk (1964)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485890907
(3) Chess championships in the Netherlands (1954)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485890066
No idea if something has been lost in translation?
(4) Blast furnace chess tournament (1957)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485838798
There are lots of chess photos on the Getty Images website keyworded "blast furnace". I think this is an automated translation issue (the Dutch word 'hoogoven' translates as 'blast furnace'), and these are from the Tata Steel tournament (Hoogovens), but may be wrong (might be mixing this up with Wijk aan Zee).
(5) Pensive Nigel Short (1987 'blast furnace' tournament)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485838983
(6) Young Jan Timman (1985 'blast furnace' tournament)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485839028
(7) Wrongly captioned photo (1984)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485838992
This is not Nigel Short at left, but who is it, or is that Beliavsky? I think this is actually Korchnoi playing Beliavsky in the 11th round.
(8) Korchnoi versus Beliavsky (1985)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485839071
Same opponents as previous photo, but different year and different round (different colours as well). It would be trivial to match up the photos with the games here.
(9) Tough photo parade (1962)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485790029
Anyone want to try and identify those 8 Russian chess masters? (The answers are probably to be found in other photos from the chess tournament they played in.)
(10) Bit of a mystery
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1485708145
"Assignment Antara chess tournament" - anyone able to work this one out?
EDIT: I think this is a match from the 11th Chess Olympiad in Amsterdam. The date of 7th September may be misleading. It that possibly Lothar Schimd shaking hands with the Columbian captain?
(11) Another Tal simultaneous display
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1414087614?
Somwhere, the Dutch equivalent of Britbase is trying to identify the participants in this simul...
(12) 1873 Varsity Match
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... /929044208
(13) Chess with living pieces, Guildhall, Winchester (1883)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... /931852704
(14) Chess contest between England and the USA (1910)
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... /548146707
I presume this is the 1910 Anglo-American cable match:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Ame ... ss_matches
I wonder how many of the chess players in that photograph can be identified? Can the game be identified from the position on the board? Were all the games played out on large boards like that? Quite bizarre!
I will stop there (that was only 11 pages of 27 from the search I made on "chess" and "history"). Lots of interesting material there.