Steve Le Fevre
-
Simon Rogers
- Posts: 2447
- Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm
Steve Le Fevre
I am sorry to inform you that Steve Le Fevre passed away on 24th June, after a short illness, at the age of 72.
Steve was a long-time member of Cosham Chess Club, Hampshire.
He played regularly in the Portsmouth League for many years.
Steve was also a member of the Hamble club, playing in the Southampton League. He was a well-known figure at Hampshire county matches in various events.
He also played for Wessex in the 4NCL Online league.
Steve also played in the Armed Forces and MOD tournament on many occasions and qualified to play at the 2010 NATO championships in Denmark.
His father and brother were also keen chess players, and between them played in many of the Portsmouth League clubs over a long period of time.
The funeral took place on Monday 19th August at St.Wilfred's Church, Cowplain.
RIP
Steve was a long-time member of Cosham Chess Club, Hampshire.
He played regularly in the Portsmouth League for many years.
Steve was also a member of the Hamble club, playing in the Southampton League. He was a well-known figure at Hampshire county matches in various events.
He also played for Wessex in the 4NCL Online league.
Steve also played in the Armed Forces and MOD tournament on many occasions and qualified to play at the 2010 NATO championships in Denmark.
His father and brother were also keen chess players, and between them played in many of the Portsmouth League clubs over a long period of time.
The funeral took place on Monday 19th August at St.Wilfred's Church, Cowplain.
RIP
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: Steve LeFevre
Steve used to give me lifts to away county matches when I was playing for Hampshire in the 1980s. He was a lovely guy and loved his chess, though I remember his father, Norman, who died in 2010, was a far stronger player. I didn't realise there were any other chess players in the family.
-
Neil Graham
- Posts: 2179
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm
Re: Steve LeFevre
Andrew LeFevre - see https://andylefevre.com/about.php#:~:te ... pionships.Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote: ↑Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:40 pmSteve used to give me lifts to away county matches when I was playing for Hampshire in the 1980s. He was a lovely guy and loved his chess, though I remember his father, Norman, who died in 2010, was a far stronger player. I didn't realise there were any other chess players in the family.
Brother of Steven.
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6662
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: Steve Le Fevre
Steve played in the Combined Services Championship, but not recently. He seemed to move over to CC. His games in the Ward-Higgs this year (Counties Championship) were abandoned. As Jon said, he was a lovely guy.
-
GrahamStuart
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:04 am
- Location: Blackfield
- Contact:
Re: Steve LeFevre
Steve represented Hampshire more than 230 times from 1974 to 2023 and as others have said was a lovely guy. Others have commented on the post on the HCA website.Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote: ↑Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:40 pmSteve used to give me lifts to away county matches when I was playing for Hampshire in the 1980s. He was a lovely guy and loved his chess, though I remember his father, Norman, who died in 2010, was a far stronger player. I didn't realise there were any other chess players in the family.
https://www.hampshirechess.co.uk/steve-lefevre-rip/
Steve came from a chess playing family and I touched on this on a post on the 1921/22 County Season as a number of his uncles (father) were winners of the Dupree Junior Tournament. In total there were 7 or 8 of his relations who played chess in the Portsmouth League.
https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/ham ... s-1921-22/
Andrew won the Portsmouth Individual in the 1972/73 season.
https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/por ... ss-league/
https://www.hampshirechesshistory.co.uk
@HCAChessHistory
@HCAChessHistory
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: Steve Le Fevre
Steve actually died on the 24th June, 2024, according to the local paper (Portsmouth News):
https://www.legacy.com/uk/obituaries/po ... d=55819288
https://www.legacy.com/uk/obituaries/po ... d=55819288
-
LawrenceCooper
- Posts: 8763
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am
Re: Steve Le Fevre
Sad news, I played him at the Combined Services Championship in 2001.
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: Steve LeFevre
Thanks Graham. I've put together a small family tree for Steve and his father, Norman, here:GrahamStuart wrote: ↑Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:23 amSteve came from a chess playing family and I touched on this on a post on the 1921/22 County Season as a number of his uncles (father) were winners of the Dupree Junior Tournament. In total there were 7 or 8 of his relations who played chess in the Portsmouth League.
https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/ham ... s-1921-22/
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... s/GYK3-K7X
(Steve's brothers don't appear because living people are not allowed on trees on that site).
I haven't worked out who T Le Fevre or K Le Fevre are yet!
-
Neil Graham
- Posts: 2179
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm
Re: Steve Le Fevre
I note from my score books that I played both Steve and his father Norman in club matches over 50 years ago.LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:56 pmSad news, I played him at the Combined Services Championship in 2001.