Anyway, this was prompted by searches for British Guiana and chess in the 1930s bringing up some nice photos of the British Guiana player J. A. M. Osborn:
https://www.gettyimages.co.nz/detail/ne ... /526755961
I wonder if more is known about him?Chess player J A M Osborn, from British Guiana, playing a game at the annual chess tournament of the British Chess Federation, Yarmouth, England, July 11th 1935.
Ah, I see John Saunders has trodden this path earlier...
https://johnchess.blogspot.com/2018/04/ ... itish.html
The answer is in a reply at that blog two years later:John Saunders in April 2018 wrote:This is J A M Osborn, from British Guiana (as it then was), who played in the First Class B section and scored 4½/11. Does anyone know his forenames? The photo is dated 11 July 1935.
I have left out the email address details (they are on the blog comment), in case anyone does have more information and wants to contact Terry.Terry Osborn in October 2020 wrote:JAM Osborn was my grandfather. John Alan Milton Osborn. My father was Frank Leonard Osborn who played at the 1946 Nottingham chess congress. I remember seeing a newspaper cutting talking about JAM travelling 3,000 (from Guiana) to play chess at the Margate (Cliftonville) chess congress in 1914?/. Any further info on this would be appreciated, as I am researching the ancestors I never met. The family (dad, grandad and great granddad) were all Guiana chess champions and the venue for the Guiana chess club was in our home 190 Church St. Georgetown. Having left Guyana in 1961 before the troubles, I have no more info and am now trying trace family history.
I did find a brief excavation from Chess Amateur found by Edward Winter:
https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/corn.html
I suppose one starting point would be to try and establish the names of the "dad, grandad and great granddad" of Terry Osborn who were all Guiana chess champions. J. A. M. Osborn was the middle one, the grandfather. The father (as stated above) was Frank Leonard Osborn. Who was the great-grandfather?A markedly lame batch of ‘Chess Conundrums on the War’ by J.A.M. Osborn appeared on page 193 of the Chess Amateur, April 1917.