Knaresborough

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Post Reply
Geoff Chandler
Posts: 3827
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Knaresborough

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Jul 13, 2025 8:18 pm

A friend has sent a picture of Knaresborough and a chequered house, I've surfed about and there quite a number of them.

Apparently...

"The Old Manor House at Waterside, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire has a painted, black and white, checker board design. The reason being one of the owners in the 1800's was a chess fanatic and he wanted to proclaim his passion for the board game. Since that time, many buildings and shops have followed suit."

Anybody any idea who the chess enthusiast was? I have the place on my bucket list and am already planning a visit hopefully very soon.

User avatar
Jon Mahony
Posts: 760
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Knaresborough

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Jul 22, 2025 7:49 am

Not a clue, but it's a nice place to go fly fishing :)

There is also Mother Shipton's cave, though they look to have touristed it up since I last went when I was a kid https://www.mothershipton.co.uk
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Neil Graham
Posts: 2179
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm

Re: Knaresborough

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Jul 23, 2025 7:25 pm

Mother Shipton's Cave was once owned by Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee.

John Townsend
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: Knaresborough

Post by John Townsend » Sun Jul 27, 2025 11:58 am

A chequer pattern on an old building is not so uncommon. What I didn't follow was the reasoning that the building in Knaresborough has an association with a chessplayer. Perhaps a few have, but I expect a lot haven't.

Post Reply