Alekhine's books

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Townsend
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Alekhine's books

Post by John Townsend » Sat Mar 07, 2026 7:20 pm

Can anyone recollect which chess writer wrote, decades ago, that "New York, 1924" by Alekhine was an outstanding book but his "Nottingham, 1936" volume was terrible?

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by John Upham » Sat Mar 07, 2026 7:40 pm

John Townsend wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 07, 2026 7:20 pm
Can anyone recollect which chess writer wrote, decades ago, that "New York, 1924" by Alekhine was an outstanding book but his "Nottingham, 1936" volume was terrible?
I'll bite...

Was it Richard Clewin Griffith?

I really do not know but his editorship of BCM spanned 1920 until 1937. If not then I will have another stab.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Mar 07, 2026 9:10 pm

His book on Nottingham is more biased, but I think its a stretch to describe it as "terrible".
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Moore
Posts: 2394
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by John Moore » Sun Mar 08, 2026 9:48 am

William Winter, perhaps?

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by John Upham » Sun Mar 08, 2026 10:59 am

John Moore wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 08, 2026 9:48 am
William Winter, perhaps?
That would be a decent punt. WW did tend to speak his mind a fair bit and probably not a big fan of AAs politics either.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by John Upham » Sun Mar 08, 2026 4:20 pm

I attempted to cheat and "look-up" the answer in my 1937 BCM bound volume but failed miserably.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

James Pratt
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by James Pratt » Mon Mar 09, 2026 12:37 pm

Was it you then, John?

Mike Gunn
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Mar 10, 2026 10:06 am

B.H. Wood?

John Townsend
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by John Townsend » Tue Mar 10, 2026 12:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback, but, having received several different guesses without sources, I have no straightforward way of verfiying which, if any, is correct. It wasn't a quiz question. I hoped that one of you would recall, from your copious leisure reading, who wrote that, as I would like to know.

Thanks again.

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 10, 2026 4:27 pm

I might have missed the review in BCM but I did check the indexes without luck.

I have volumes 1 & 2 of Chess but they are w/o indexes which makes it rather tedious to trawl through the whole thing.

Maybe someone could keyword search the online version if this exists?

J.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Moore
Posts: 2394
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by John Moore » Tue Mar 10, 2026 4:58 pm

I somehow doubt, for no particular reason, that it was in a review of the Nottingham tournament book. I think that it might have been considerably later and if it was, for example, William Winter, I'd be inclined to look in Kings of Chess or in the memoirs which were serialised in Chess in the early 60s. I no longer have access to either so this is all guesswork and not much help to John Townsend.

James Pratt
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by James Pratt » Tue Mar 10, 2026 5:47 pm

It was Golombek

John Townsend
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by John Townsend » Tue Mar 10, 2026 6:30 pm

Thanks, James. Could I have the source, please?

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 3827
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Mar 11, 2026 1:16 pm

My first thought was Abrahams but now James has mentioned Golombek, his piece on Alekhine in 'The Penguin Encyclopedia of Chess' states Alekhine's most important works were, his Best Games Vol's I and II and New York 1924. (no mention on Nottingham 1936.) so that gives a hint he was not too fond of the Nottingham book.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Alekhine's books

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 11, 2026 2:07 pm

Golombek could be pretty judgemental about these things - I recall his introduction to the original edition of The Encyclopedia Of Chess, which was then undermined by the numerous errors in it (picked up by a youthful Edward Winter amongst others) The later paperback edition corrected at least some of them but also majorly toned down the original intro.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Post Reply