University Challenge
-
Neill Cooper
- Posts: 1399
- Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
- Location: Cumbria
- Contact:
University Challenge
They did well on tonight's University Challenge at identifying world chess champions (Fisher, Kasparov, Spassky) and Deep Blue.
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9324
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: University Challenge
BBC2 at 8pm, probably. Look on the iPlayer.
-
Neill Cooper
- Posts: 1399
- Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
- Location: Cumbria
- Contact:
Re: University Challenge
BBC2 8pm tonight. repeated tomorrow evening at 7.30, Now on iPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_3/
It was a bit over halfway through
It was a bit over halfway through
-
Neil Graham
- Posts: 2177
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm
Re: University Challenge
Chess Playing quiz contestants are pretty commonplace. Apart from our esteemed President, I can recall a team of women chessplayers challenging the Eggheads. A member from my own club was certainly on University Challenge. Matti Watton who has played in the British Championship was 15 to 1 champion and has appeared on other shows. Even Paul Buswell and myself managed to appear on Fifteen to One!
- Colin Ross
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:55 pm
- Location: Leicester
- Contact:
Re: University Challenge
21.15 on the iPlayer.
- John Upham
- Posts: 8381
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: University Challenge
Did they spell Fischer's name correctly?Neill Cooper wrote:They did well on tonight's University Challenge at identifying world chess champions (Fisher, Kasparov, Spassky) and Deep Blue.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
LozCooper
Re: University Challenge
Pride & Prejudice; Claire Summerscale, Cathy Warwick, Heather Lang, Rosalind Kieran, Sarah DeLisle.Neil Graham wrote:Chess Playing quiz contestants are pretty commonplace. Apart from our esteemed President, I can recall a team of women chessplayers challenging the Eggheads. A member from my own club was certainly on University Challenge. Matti Watton who has played in the British Championship was 15 to 1 champion and has appeared on other shows. Even Paul Buswell and myself managed to appear on Fifteen to One!
- John Upham
- Posts: 8381
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: University Challenge
A team from Camberley Chess Club appeared on Eggheads a couple of years ago :
The team was Ken & Christine, Julien Shepley, Paul Sloane and Steve Harley. I suffered from both a cold and stage fright!
The team was Ken & Christine, Julien Shepley, Paul Sloane and Steve Harley. I suffered from both a cold and stage fright!
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6661
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: University Challenge
"Chess Playing quiz contestants are pretty commonplace."
Oh well, My father and I both did 15 to 1. I also did Brainteaser and Countdown. Dave Ledger did really well on Brainteaser and also appeared on Countdown. Simon Gillam also did Countdown. The Countdown forum (which is much more abusive than this one) probably lists more chessplayers, and apologies to anyone I've forgotten. I attempted "University Challenge the Professionals" with work colleagues but we were rubbish and failed the audition...
Oh well, My father and I both did 15 to 1. I also did Brainteaser and Countdown. Dave Ledger did really well on Brainteaser and also appeared on Countdown. Simon Gillam also did Countdown. The Countdown forum (which is much more abusive than this one) probably lists more chessplayers, and apologies to anyone I've forgotten. I attempted "University Challenge the Professionals" with work colleagues but we were rubbish and failed the audition...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey
-
Leonard Barden
- Posts: 2044
- Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am
Re: University Challenge
I watched the episode with some sorrow as the team from Balliol (which 60 years ago had more than 100 chessplayers and finished in both the top two places in the Oxford U team championship) clearly hadn't a clue on identifying Bobby. The 25-point swing in favour of Queens', Cambridge on this question proved decisive.
Re: University Challenge
I was lucky enough to get sport and Judith (when everyone else bar Sarah had been knocked out) - she knew a little bit less than I didn't.LozCooper wrote:Pride & Prejudice; Claire Summerscale, Cathy Warwick, Heather Lang, Rosalind Kieran, Sarah DeLisle.
-
Neil Graham
- Posts: 2177
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm
Re: University Challenge
That must be ages ago - when Pride and Prejudice actually consisted of women!LozCooper wrote:Pride & Prejudice; Claire Summerscale, Cathy Warwick, Heather Lang, Rosalind Kieran, Sarah DeLisle.Neil Graham wrote:Chess Playing quiz contestants are pretty commonplace. Apart from our esteemed President, I can recall a team of women chessplayers challenging the Eggheads. A member from my own club was certainly on University Challenge. Matti Watton who has played in the British Championship was 15 to 1 champion and has appeared on other shows. Even Paul Buswell and myself managed to appear on Fifteen to One!
-
Paul McKeown
- Posts: 3828
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
- Location: Hayes (Middx)
University Challenge
I saw University Challenge between some college or other, Oxford, and some other college or other, Cambridge, on BBC2 this evening. It included a picture round, with the starter of "Robert James Fischer", followed by "Garry Kimovich Kasparov", then "Boris Vasillievich Spassky", ending with "IBM Deep Blue". The four depicted chess players were all correctly identified. Does anyone know who gave the answers ... obviously a chess player or former chess player? The photograph of Fischer was very familiar, does anyone know the occasion on which it was taken?
-
Neill Cooper
- Posts: 1399
- Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
- Location: Cumbria
- Contact:
Re: University Challenge
See previous thread http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1921