Remembering Thomas Wilson Barnes (1825 20-viii-1874)
https://britishchessnews.com/2026/08/19 ... viii-1874/
Remembering Thomas Wilson Barnes (1825 20-viii-1874)
- John Upham
- Posts: 8384
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Remembering Thomas Wilson Barnes (1825 20-viii-1874)
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: Remembering Thomas Wilson Barnes (1825 20-viii-1874)
Why is he considered English, since it seems he was born in County Armagh, Ireland?
- John Upham
- Posts: 8384
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: Remembering Thomas Wilson Barnes (1825 20-viii-1874)
May I see your evidence please?Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote: ↑Thu Aug 20, 2026 5:01 pmWhy is he considered English, since it seems he was born in County Armagh, Ireland?
I'm not doubting it but have not seen that evidence as yet.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: Remembering Thomas Wilson Barnes (1825 20-viii-1874)
The only census I could find him in is that of 1871:
John Townsend seems to have found evidence that he was born in Armagh and indeed studied in Ireland:
I suspect that the baptism of a Thomas Wilson Barnes on the 11th August, 1825, in Newry, County Down, was the future chess player, because his father is given as "John Barnes of County Armagh".
https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~rosdavi ... /B/Bar.htm
This also mentions a brother, George Barnes, born around 1824.
Findagrave gives a date of birth for Thomas Wilson Barnes of 12th February, 1825, but I can't find any sources for that.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/222 ... son-barnes
Thomas Wilson Barnes on Family Search:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/tree/pe ... s/GKXP-RMP
see https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter142.htmlThe Middle Temple had at least one other very fine chessplayer, Thomas Wilson Barnes. Born in Armagh, Northern Ireland, he had obtained his M.A. at Trinity College, Dublin in the summer of 1851 (source: Alumni Dublinenses, 1924, page 41)
I suspect that the baptism of a Thomas Wilson Barnes on the 11th August, 1825, in Newry, County Down, was the future chess player, because his father is given as "John Barnes of County Armagh".
https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~rosdavi ... /B/Bar.htm
This also mentions a brother, George Barnes, born around 1824.
Findagrave gives a date of birth for Thomas Wilson Barnes of 12th February, 1825, but I can't find any sources for that.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/222 ... son-barnes
Thomas Wilson Barnes on Family Search:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/tree/pe ... s/GKXP-RMP
- John Upham
- Posts: 8384
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: Remembering Thomas Wilson Barnes (1825 20-viii-1874)
This looks to be pretty strong evidence.
I've no idea why Hooper described TWB as English.
To be fair to Hooper, researching this stuff was much, much harder in the 1960s and 1970s.
I've no idea why Hooper described TWB as English.
To be fair to Hooper, researching this stuff was much, much harder in the 1960s and 1970s.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess