Using AI for Bulk Game Input

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Post Reply
User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 2166
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Using AI for Bulk Game Input

Post by John Saunders » Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:03 pm

I've just started trying out AI for BritBase work, namely the bulk input of game scores and formatting of crosstables from scanned images.

I've written a blog entry about it: https://johnchess.blogspot.com/2026/10/ ... tbase.html

I was wondering if anyone else here has experimented with it or knows of anything informative on the subject.

Note that I'm only interested in using AI to process scanned images of printed material, not scoresheets or manuscript chess scores. That's a whole different area and perhaps deserves its own thread. I'm thinking more of bulk input of games from tournament bulletins or similar.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

GrahamStuart
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:04 am
Location: Blackfield
Contact:

Re: Using AI for Bulk Game Input

Post by GrahamStuart » Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:37 pm

As someone is very wary of AI I had not considered using it for this purpose, but will definitely look at duplicating your process for some of the Hampshire / WECU publications. I am shocked by how bad my IT usage is now, despite working with databases and programming for much of my working life.
I am hoping my scanner (Epson 4830 printer / scanner) is up to the task.

Basic question - Is ChatGPT free for this purpose?

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10973
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Using AI for Bulk Game Input

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:43 pm

Nice blog, John. I have followed the rise of AI (which covers a multitude of sins) and would add that it can depend very much which model you use and how advanced it is and whether you are paying for it or not.

From horror stories I have read:

(1) If you are interested in preserving the methodology and so forth (exactly what prompts you used) and are drawn to storing everything in a paid-for or free account, do make sure to take backups as access to such accounts can be suspended (for sometimes spurious reasons) meaning lots can be lost if not backed up (backing up the output can be trivial but backing up the prompts is sometimes less easy).

(2) Be aware that some models will (despite claiming not to) retain and use your material for training purposes (improving future models). So be aware of that when using copyrighted materials and your own materials. I am sure you know this, but the saving in time is so much that many people just do it anyway (including getting AI to help with things they would not if they read the small print).

There are also some VLMs (Vision Language Models) as opposed to pure LLM (Large Language Models) that do amazing things now with recognising vertical text and other oddities of layout. I suspect they will handle chess figurines with ease.

Whether any AI models can convert descriptive to algebraic I don't know. Would be interested to know (maybe it has already been done). I would love it if they were able to recognise photographs of obscure historical chess players. Also not sure how many of the AI models have been trained on (i.e. ingested) chess magazines from across the world. Depends which have been scanned. I wonder how many Russian chess sources have been scanned to the level needed?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Using AI for Bulk Game Input

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:14 pm

John Saunders wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:03 pm
I've just started trying out AI for BritBase work, namely the bulk input of game scores and formatting of crosstables from scanned images.

By 1998 you would be in the era where bulletins and cross tables were mostly prepared on computers. Reverse engineering the printed output back to its electronic form should on paper be an easier task than from earlier material. That wouldn't preclude input errors in the original transcription from player scoresheets. AI should be able to decode figurines, particularly if it has access to the fonts used.

Ian Thompson
Posts: 4280
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Using AI for Bulk Game Input

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:26 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:43 pm
There are also some VLMs (Vision Language Models) as opposed to pure LLM (Large Language Models) that do amazing things now with recognising vertical text and other oddities of layout. I suspect they will handle chess figurines with ease.
Although not quite the same thing, this study makes interesting reading - VLMs cannot reliably convert an image of a chessboard into an accurate chess diagram.

User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 2166
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Using AI for Bulk Game Input

Post by John Saunders » Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:42 pm

Thanks for all the helpful and informative responses.

Some matters arising...

Graeme's question: ChatGPT is not free after you have submitted three scans to interpret. Thereafter you would have to wait (until the next day?) before submitting more. The subscription is £20/month, though the first month is free.

Roger's point about 1990s tournament bulletin is right and reverse engineering seems to work quite well on crosstable data. I had fondly imagined that this meant that computer-generated crosstable data from the 1990s would be 100% accurate but ChatGPT actually detected an error in one such output. In the 1998 British Under-10 Championship table (on the 8th or 9th page of the bulletin) it shows the winner Lee Gold as scoring 6/7 but ChatGPT, in proof-reading the table, added up his scores to make 6½/7. AI seems to be right and the printed table wrong. I suppose it is possible that the '½' was accidentally edited out when the computer output was incorporated into the bulletin.

The file I have given it to work on at the moment is the 1998 British Major Open bulletin, with 205 games to convert to PGN. But this is taking a great deal longer than the junior championship - I set it going this morning (around 11am, I think) and have yet to see any output at 3.30pm this afternoon. That's still acceptable compared to manual inputting, which would take longer (10+ hours?), but the junior championships conversion was a good deal quicker.

The next thing I shall be testing with AI is reordering crosstables when mistakes occur that require the player order to be changed along with the individual pairings. This will also be useful for generating Guernsey tournament crosstables. Guernsey Chess Club has an excellent database of tournament results going back years but unfortunately, when the tables are shown in descending score order, the number associated with a particular player (more or less in an alphabetical surname order) is retained. I would like an easy way to change these to 1, 2, 3, along with the pairing numbers, etc, but I don't have the software or knowledge to accomplish this without a great deal of faff.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10973
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Using AI for Bulk Game Input

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:54 pm

John Saunders wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:42 pm
The subscription is £20/month, though the first month is free.
Another warning (though you will be familiar with this from other services): becoming dependent on AI may backfire if they hike their prices. Though some say prices will fall rapidly for other reasons.
John Saunders wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:42 pm
I set it going this morning (around 11am, I think) and have yet to see any output at 3.30pm this afternoon. That's still acceptable compared to manual inputting, which would take longer (10+ hours?), but the junior championships conversion was a good deal quicker.
On timings - I have no idea why some AI prompts take longer than others. You will probably be aware of the environmental aspects - there is a lonely iceberg or glacier somewhere melting due to the heat produced by the data/processing centres handling your request, John! :?
John Saunders wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:42 pm
I would like an easy way to change these to 1, 2, 3, along with the pairing numbers, etc, but I don't have the software or knowledge to accomplish this without a great deal of faff.
Vibe coding:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibe_coding

It would in theory be better to develop the solution once rather than ask AI to do advanced (or even basic) proofreading and/or typesetting and/or other basic (but fiddly) tasks. But that ship has long sailed.

Cynical? Me? Surely not!

(I confess that I, for many years, instead of having proper bookmarks, Googled websites I would visit every day - thus contributing in my own way to extra [needless] searches, extra electrons, and excess energy consumption.)

I must go back to reading science fiction that has AI avatars doing everything for us...

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6384
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Using AI for Bulk Game Input

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Oct 04, 2026 4:50 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:43 pm
Whether any AI models can convert descriptive to algebraic I don't know. Would be interested to know (maybe it has already been done)
This is indeed an interesting one - not least because everyone who has ever been through old chess books/magazines will know that descriptive was sometimes ambiguous even if not actually incorrect.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Using AI for Bulk Game Input

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 04, 2026 4:54 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 04, 2026 4:50 pm
This is indeed an interesting one - not least because everyone who has ever been through old chess books/magazines will know that descriptive was sometimes ambiguous even if not actually incorrect.
A google search tells me
How to Enable Descriptive Notation in ChessBase
You can switch your game notation style by navigating through the settings:
1. Open ChessBase and go to the main menu.
2. Select File (or Tools in older versions) → Options.
3. Click on the Notation tab.
4. Select Descriptive (labeled as P-Q4 Anglo-American descriptive notation).
5. Click Apply or OK to save the changes.
(Pro-Tip: You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + O to open the options menu directly)

Post Reply