29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
-
Sam Cornwell
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:00 pm
29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
But I've suddenly got back into it after succesfully teaching my girlfriend how to beat me.
When I was 11/12 the only experience I had of competition was getting silver place in the national Scouts final. I didn't play for much after that. I'd love to get back into the social side and have no idea where or what level to start. I don't know what my ability is without playing other players so would like to start low.
I live in South Wales, Newport and my girlfriend is interested too. Where/who/what/how do I get started?
TIA
Sam.
When I was 11/12 the only experience I had of competition was getting silver place in the national Scouts final. I didn't play for much after that. I'd love to get back into the social side and have no idea where or what level to start. I don't know what my ability is without playing other players so would like to start low.
I live in South Wales, Newport and my girlfriend is interested too. Where/who/what/how do I get started?
TIA
Sam.
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9326
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
You might be interested in visiting a local club. I found this on the Welsh Chess Union website: http://www.welshchessunion.co.uk/html/gwent.html
Whichever of those is most convenient for you would probably welcome new members, and bring you up to league standard (if you're not already!), and you can start playing in their competitions.
Whichever of those is most convenient for you would probably welcome new members, and bring you up to league standard (if you're not already!), and you can start playing in their competitions.
- Gareth Harley-Yeo
- Posts: 307
- Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:58 pm
- Location: Wales
- Contact:
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
There are sveral clubs in your area.Sam Cornwell wrote:But I've suddenly got back into it after succesfully teaching my girlfriend how to beat me.
When I was 11/12 the only experience I had of competition was getting silver place in the national Scouts final. I didn't play for much after that. I'd love to get back into the social side and have no idea where or what level to start. I don't know what my ability is without playing other players so would like to start low.
I live in South Wales, Newport and my girlfriend is interested too. Where/who/what/how do I get started?
TIA
Sam.
Newport, Malpas, Cwmbran, Pontypool and Abergavenny all have clubs. I suggest you pop along to one on a club night and take it from there. ( link )
-
Pat Bennett
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:38 pm
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
As a teenager, I used to play for Newport Bishops, one of three teams based in the YMCA. That was 50 years ago. Browsing the web a few months ago, I noticed that three teams with the same names (!) still play in the Newport & District League. If memory serves me right, club night was a Tuesday. Nip along to the YMCA this evening and see if there are any chessplayers about. Tradition dies hard in South Wales ...
Pat
Pat
-
Pat Bennett
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:38 pm
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
What a shame. I've just checked at http://www.newportchessclub.org.uk/links.html, where it says that "Newport Chess Club meets each Wednesday from 7pm at the Baneswell Community Centre, Baneswell, Newport."
And only Newport Bishops and Newport Rooks are still going. The third is called Newport A, but there was no such team 50 years ago.
And only Newport Bishops and Newport Rooks are still going. The third is called Newport A, but there was no such team 50 years ago.
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10567
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
A few years ago, I sent a proposal to three British chess publishers for a book designed to assist people like Sam, as I'd come across an awful lot of people , on bulletin boards - who hadn't played chess since school but had expressed an interest when the subject of chess came up, generally during a world championship match or similar. The book would have helped them find somewhere to play (clubs, congresses) as well as filling them in on what had happened in the chess world in their absence - both as regards world championships, and so on, and as regards computers, playing online, websites and what you will.
One publisher never replied. One said they'd get back to me and didn't, and the third replied quickly, said they were interested but asked if I could expand my proposed remit to include the US - where most of the books are sold - and then turned down when I declined, not knowing anything much about chess in the US. Which was OK, I understood their point of view and they didn't mess me about.
Still, it's a shame though - in my experience there's a lot of people out there who fall into this category. So, if anybody else out there wants to have a go, please be my guest!
One publisher never replied. One said they'd get back to me and didn't, and the third replied quickly, said they were interested but asked if I could expand my proposed remit to include the US - where most of the books are sold - and then turned down when I declined, not knowing anything much about chess in the US. Which was OK, I understood their point of view and they didn't mess me about.
Still, it's a shame though - in my experience there's a lot of people out there who fall into this category. So, if anybody else out there wants to have a go, please be my guest!
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
-
Sam Cornwell
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:00 pm
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
Thank you all for your help. It's quite unnerving not knowing how it's all meant to work. I'm quite keen on the social side and my girlfriend would like to participate too.
I'm heading down to the Newport club tomorrow as suggested. Hopefully they might be able to get me up to a league standard and get me playing weekly.
I'm heading down to the Newport club tomorrow as suggested. Hopefully they might be able to get me up to a league standard and get me playing weekly.
- Gareth Harley-Yeo
- Posts: 307
- Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:58 pm
- Location: Wales
- Contact:
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
I've just joined Cardiff, if you have any welsh chess questions feel free to PM me.Sam Cornwell wrote:Thank you all for your help. It's quite unnerving not knowing how it's all meant to work. I'm quite keen on the social side and my girlfriend would like to participate too.
I'm heading down to the Newport club tomorrow as suggested. Hopefully they might be able to get me up to a league standard and get me playing weekly.
-
Michael Jones
- Posts: 642
- Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
Without wishing it to sound too much like a plug, you might want to get hold of a copy of the Mammoth Book of Chess; I've found that useful in that it has information on how clubs/leagues/tournaments etc. work, as well as on actually playing the game.
- John Upham
- Posts: 8384
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
Here is a Welsh chess question : "Allwch chi esbonio castling os gwelwch yn dda?"Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
if you have any welsh chess questions feel free to PM me.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
- Adam Raoof
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
- Location: NW4 4UY
- Contact:
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
castell mor gynnar ag y bo modd!John Upham wrote:Here is a Welsh chess question : "Allwch chi esbonio castling os gwelwch yn dda?"Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
if you have any welsh chess questions feel free to PM me.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
-
Richard Thursby
- Posts: 296
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: origin + pathname + search + hash
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
This thread is fast becoming rather inappropriate for the English Chess Forum!
- Gareth Harley-Yeo
- Posts: 307
- Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:58 pm
- Location: Wales
- Contact:
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
Allai, ond o ni'n feddwl dy fod ti'n gwbod rheolau'r gem yn barod John?John Upham wrote:Here is a Welsh chess question : "Allwch chi esbonio castling os gwelwch yn dda?"Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
if you have any welsh chess questions feel free to PM me.
Sorry Richard, we'll try not to take up too much space on the server.Richard Thursby wrote:This thread is fast becoming rather inappropriate for the English Chess Forum!
-
Neill Cooper
- Posts: 1399
- Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
- Location: Cumbria
- Contact:
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
The excellent 'Chess in England' site (http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/cframe.htm) unfortunately does not show clubs in Wales.
- Adam Raoof
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
- Location: NW4 4UY
- Contact:
Re: 29 and I haven't played chess passionately for 18 years.
Not surprisingly, given the name.Neill Cooper wrote:The excellent 'Chess in England' site (http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/cframe.htm) unfortunately does not show clubs in Wales.
A very interesting site - who runs it?
"Individual players are expected to support financially the whole of this structure. Not surprisingly this expectation is not uniformally appreciated, and as fees have increased some sections of the chess community have opted out of providing support to the higher levels."
The first sentence is factually incorrect. The second sentence is a little obscure.
"Interestingly there are several league sites that record a grading performance for players in their competitions, so clearly this is a benefit that the ECF is not uniquely positioned to provide. "
The ECF is, however, unique in being able to provide a national grading service, rather than a local one.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/