A little cryptic
-
Richard Thursby
- Posts: 296
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: origin + pathname + search + hash
Re: A little cryptic
The first answer that comes to mind is Bobby Fischer (Rob, another diminutive of Robert is steal, and the man with the rod and the reel is a fisher(man). I don't see how the hurt bit fits in.). I wouldn't be surprised if, had this been a question on QI, I would have scored at most -10 points for such an answer.
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: A little cryptic
Rob 'urt
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: A little cryptic
Topalov? (top a loaf?)
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: A little cryptic
Victoria Cmilyte (I've a feeling it must be 'Victor' somebody)
n.b. if it's the above, it rather depends on how you think the surname should be pronounced. The way Victoria says it, it sounds roughly like 'Chimmel eater'.
n.b. if it's the above, it rather depends on how you think the surname should be pronounced. The way Victoria says it, it sounds roughly like 'Chimmel eater'.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
- Gavin Strachan
- Posts: 676
- Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
- Contact:
Re: A little cryptic
I was trying to think of one for the Pert brothers but it would have got me banned from the forum. Esp Richard Pert.
http://www.brentwoodchessclub.org/
Brentwood Chess Club
Brentwood Chess Club
-
Daniel Young
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Location: Oxfordshire
Re: A little cryptic
Weigh up the heat... Summerscale?
-
Alexander Hardwick
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 4:45 pm
Re: A little cryptic
Warren Kingston wrote:Another one: -
Weigh up the heat with with this woolly jumper.
Grandmaster
You'll have to explain where the woolly jumper comes into this one...Daniel Young wrote:Weigh up the heat... Summerscale?
How about compiling these into a chess-themed cryptic crossword?
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: A little cryptic
David Gnawwood - got one!
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: A little cryptic
How far away are the Giants?
-
Carol Williams
- Posts: 137
- Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:27 pm
Re: A little cryptic
You guys need to get out more
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: A little cryptic
"Does not emit any friction"
It's a trick - not a player, but an opening. The accelerated Dragon?
It's a trick - not a player, but an opening. The accelerated Dragon?
-
Carol Williams
- Posts: 137
- Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:27 pm
Re: A little cryptic
Warren - Excellent decision - although I am a white wine person myself 
-
Carol Williams
- Posts: 137
- Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:27 pm
Re: A little cryptic
I like your wife 