Fred Goodwin isn't a banker

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Post Reply

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9326
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Fred Goodwin isn't a banker

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Phil Makepeace wrote:He is a nit, though.
He might not be a banker, but The Guardian refers to him as:

"The controversial former bank chief Sir Fred Goodwin."

I can see no way in which people can read that to mean "banker". So that's all right then.

User avatar
Gavin Strachan
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
Contact:

Re: Fred Goodwin isn't a banker

Post by Gavin Strachan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:38 pm

one day I will be called a chess player.

Simon Spivack
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Fred Goodwin isn't a banker

Post by Simon Spivack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Far be it from me to propose that ridicule is the answer to the dilemma that we are not allowed to call Fred the Shred a banker. However, we could remedy the deficiency that we can't even learn the wording of the injunction protecting him by guessing our own. I admit it's been years since I was last north of the border, I am somewhat out of practice. (Where are my cousins when I need them?) I may have it slightly wrong, still, my suggestion is:

"Dinnae footer about wi' thon gallus bawheid scunner, bewaur the galoot, Jimmy."

I think it means something like:

"Man, don't mess around with that very cheeky and repulsive bonehead, be wary of the idiot."

Post Reply