New Chess Club-Started in Gidea Park Essex-Needs Help!!!

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
David Brock
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:12 am
Contact:

New Chess Club-Started in Gidea Park Essex-Needs Help!!!

Post by David Brock » Thu May 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi I Just wanted to Pass on some information and news that although Chess may be in the decline their are still people out there who want to play. My story is as follows:

About two months ago I was in my local library and saw a Leaflet saying a new chess club was starting up. Being in my local library and a chess playing father I enquired who was running it thinking it might be one of my own chess club members. I was rather surprised that it was going to be run by one of the libraries own staff who played as a youngster (now about 25) and who was only just past the beginner stage. After further chatting and stating my own chess credentials it seemed that I had in advertently volunteered my own services (whoops). I then had to fill out numerous forms and undergo a CRB check.

The first day/night was last Thursday (between 4.30 and 5.30) and around 10 people turned up all juniors. Ranging from 4 years old to around 12 years old. There were three absolute beginners and the rest could play to some degree. All very good.

However come the 2nd week and I have just comeback and we now had over 20 players including two adults. A 100% increase on last week. Also the person who first organised it decided to have a day off so I was left in the deep end. Having only ever taught my own daughter before it was something of a learning curve. However I must admit I rather enjoyed it.I have now in two weeks managed to teach 7 absolute beginners how to set up the board, know all the pieces , how they move, point count and to start playing a game with the aim of checkmating the king. And one of those is only 4 years old and she is one of the better ones.

Now I only hope that no more turn up next week as we have run out of room and boards. So I now have to look how to take to the next stage , thinking, strategy, openings, keep interesting etc.

So if anyone wants to help out I would like the following please:-

1. Some volunteers to help (local to area)
2. More chess boards (any donations greatly received) as I have donated 3 of my own already
3. Any unused chess books- as although a library the range of chess books is nil- I have already give several to the library already and hopefully this will keep interest up.
4. Any teaching ideas- to keep fresh each week
5. Does anyone know if I qualify for CSC help?

Anyway as I said earlier Chess in Gidea Park is alive and well although a bit over worked and tired.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10980
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: New Chess Club-Started in Gidea Park Essex-Needs Help!!!

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed May 18, 2011 8:47 am

Warren Kingston wrote:Well done, keep it up and hopefully you will get some help from somewhere!!
I was hoping this thread might have been a bit longer. What happened?

Michael Jones
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: New Chess Club-Started in Gidea Park Essex-Needs Help!!!

Post by Michael Jones » Sat May 21, 2011 6:35 pm

David Brock wrote:I have now in two weeks managed to teach 7 absolute beginners how to set up the board, know all the pieces , how they move, point count and to start playing a game with the aim of checkmating the king.
Wow. I've taught similar-sized groups of beginners, and usually reckon I'm doing well if by the end of the second week they all know that the board should be set up with a white square in the bottom right corner. Unfortunately I'm not in much of a position to help, but well done on your progress so far and good luck!

User avatar
David Brock
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:12 am
Contact:

Re: New Chess Club-Started in Gidea Park Essex-Needs Help!!!

Post by David Brock » Tue May 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Now Done three weeks and not lost anybody yet. All of the absolute beginners are starting to play a game or two . Now need to decide how to take to the next stage with a bit of thought in the players game. I believe point count is the best way forward but does anyone have experience that they can pass on ?

Thanks
Think,check and then Move !!

User avatar
Gavin Strachan
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
Contact:

Re: New Chess Club-Started in Gidea Park Essex-Needs Help!!!

Post by Gavin Strachan » Thu May 26, 2011 11:22 am

I have posted a message to the Essex exec, and it would be worth emailing the local clubs to see if anyone can pop down. We have players from other clubs come down to our club night and this would really help.

Richard Harding
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: New Chess Club-Started in Gidea Park Essex-Needs Help!!!

Post by Richard Harding » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Dave
I am the ECF coach of The Knights of Gidea park junior club.
We let the children choose the name,it's better than the runner-up name the chess nuts!!!!!
We meet at the Friends meeting house Balgores Crescent Romford Friday @3:30 - 5:00.
We first met in January of this year,and have a waiting list already.
The children come from Gidea Park College School.(primary)
We have a website/blog http://knightsofgideaparkjcc.blogspot.com/
If we can be of help you can contact us through the website.
Good luck with you new club.
Gidea park had no chess clubs a few months ago,now it has 2.
Chess clubs are like buses,if you wait long enough for one 2 come along together.
Richard harding

matt_ward
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: New Chess Club-Started in Gidea Park Essex-Needs Help!!!

Post by matt_ward » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Dave, very well done!

I'm pleased for you and all the welcomed chess players younsters and the two adults, that is a great achievement in itself for the 2nd week to get a 100% increase if I were local I'd love to help, I could possibly send you some resources in due course.

It's great to see Dave such a variety of chess players of all ages. :) :)

Post Reply