time limit in counties championships
-
Chris Majer
- Posts: 85
- Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:29 pm
time limit in counties championships
I would be interested to know whether teams in the counties championships would like the option (by mutual agreement of captains) for teams to play two matches on the day (i.e. play a faster time limit and thus be able to play a second game with colours reversed)?
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive
ECF Chief Executive
- Nigel Wright
- Posts: 246
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 pm
- Location: Derbyshire, England
- Contact:
Depends on the new time limit - if someone finishes their first game early, how long would they have to be hanging around before they could start the next game? Because if people start return matches before everyone has finished the first game, it's going to disturb any ongoing matches.
I like the idea of more games, but I think many people may have a problem with (it may sound like it, but I haven't got any beef with the proposal!).
I like the idea of more games, but I think many people may have a problem with (it may sound like it, but I haven't got any beef with the proposal!).
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.
I Drink therefore I am.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
I Drink therefore I am.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
- Greg Breed
- Posts: 723
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 am
- Location: Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
- Contact:
I like it but you can bet your bottom dollar that the idea won't get through.
Newer, younger players enjoy faster games and are generally better able to handle faster time limits than older players, but usually form a minority of the team selections.
Most of the players like the time to think through their games and would object to a time scramble. In any case, county matches often involve people car sharing to get to away (and even home) fixtures.
What sort of time limit would it be to have 2 games in one sitting?
60 minutes each? That's bordering on rapid-play isn't it?
Any longer and you're in for a 6-8 hour session! Not fun if you have a 2 hour journey after!!
Newer, younger players enjoy faster games and are generally better able to handle faster time limits than older players, but usually form a minority of the team selections.
Most of the players like the time to think through their games and would object to a time scramble. In any case, county matches often involve people car sharing to get to away (and even home) fixtures.
What sort of time limit would it be to have 2 games in one sitting?
60 minutes each? That's bordering on rapid-play isn't it?
Any longer and you're in for a 6-8 hour session! Not fun if you have a 2 hour journey after!!
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)
-
Mick Norris
- Posts: 11402
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
- Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
One of the attractions of county chess is the longer time limits - however, we have some players who won't give up a day to only play one game
I once drove 2.5 hours to a match, played for 4 hours, and drove 2.5 hours back - I wouldn't welcome the idea of spending another 4 hours playing a second game!
I once drove 2.5 hours to a match, played for 4 hours, and drove 2.5 hours back - I wouldn't welcome the idea of spending another 4 hours playing a second game!
Any postings on here represent my personal views
- Greg Breed
- Posts: 723
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 am
- Location: Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
- Contact:
-
Mick Norris
- Posts: 11402
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
- Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
I think they also play weekend congresses where they get 2 or 3 longplay games in a dayGreg Breed wrote:They should stick to rapid-play events then!Mick Norris wrote:One of the attractions of county chess is the longer time limits - however, we have some players who won't give up a day to only play one game.
I think it is good there is a choice (county, 4NCL, Yorkshire league, weekend congresses, Rapidplays, evening chess)
Any postings on here represent my personal views
-
Chris Majer
- Posts: 85
- Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:29 pm
-
Stewart Reuben
- Posts: 4566
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
- Location: writer
In case this idea ever arises again, after all it is only offering an option:
The 2 games should be played against the same opponent with colours reversed. If that was the intention, it was not stated.
The venue must be suitably large for there not to be too great a disturbance of games finishing at a different time.
Stewart Reuben
The 2 games should be played against the same opponent with colours reversed. If that was the intention, it was not stated.
The venue must be suitably large for there not to be too great a disturbance of games finishing at a different time.
Stewart Reuben
- Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Contact:
Re: time limit in counties championships
I don't like the idea, but I don't play much County Chess as it starts too late for me, if kick off was earlier I'd play more, but getting home for 8pm to 9 pm on Saturdays and Sunday is a no goer. I like the thinking though.Chris Majer wrote:I would be interested to know whether teams in the counties championships would like the option (by mutual agreement of captains) for teams to play two matches on the day (i.e. play a faster time limit and thus be able to play a second game with colours reversed)?
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
Captain of Legion