How many should I expect?
-
Geoff Gibson
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am
- Location: DERBY
How many should I expect?
I'm the organiser of the Derbyshire Rapidplay on Sunday 02 December and would like the benefit of the experience of other organisers of recent events.
This is the first event I've arranged in the County for about 6 years and I've budgeted for a break even figure of about 100 players - so far, with 10 days to go, I have 40.
Although I have an encouraging number of non-local players, those in the area are still a little thin on the ground at this stage.
From other organisers' experience, when do you tend to receive the bulk of the entries? The late entry fee deadline is this Saturday (24 November) and I'm hoping for an increase in volumes over the next few days.
Do you think 100 is realistic or am I being optimistic?
This is the first event I've arranged in the County for about 6 years and I've budgeted for a break even figure of about 100 players - so far, with 10 days to go, I have 40.
Although I have an encouraging number of non-local players, those in the area are still a little thin on the ground at this stage.
From other organisers' experience, when do you tend to receive the bulk of the entries? The late entry fee deadline is this Saturday (24 November) and I'm hoping for an increase in volumes over the next few days.
Do you think 100 is realistic or am I being optimistic?
Geoff Gibson
- Gavin Strachan
- Posts: 676
- Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
- Contact:
Numbers
Geoff,
Difficult to answer the question, but needless to say that you will get some on the door and entries will be increasingly coming through the post in the last couple of weeks. If you have 40 now and the tournament is on 2nd December you may get near your target, though conservatively I reckon 60-80. I competed on a few occasions in The Central London Rapidplay and the numbers were similar. I don't know what Derby is like for numbers and chess popularity, etc. I would compete, but it's a bit of a distance
Difficult to answer the question, but needless to say that you will get some on the door and entries will be increasingly coming through the post in the last couple of weeks. If you have 40 now and the tournament is on 2nd December you may get near your target, though conservatively I reckon 60-80. I competed on a few occasions in The Central London Rapidplay and the numbers were similar. I don't know what Derby is like for numbers and chess popularity, etc. I would compete, but it's a bit of a distance
-
Geoff Gibson
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am
- Location: DERBY
Numbers
Gavin,
Thanks for your message.
I now have 44 (still 9 days left!) and hope everyone is waiting until the last minute to enter!
Thanks for your message.
I now have 44 (still 9 days left!) and hope everyone is waiting until the last minute to enter!
Geoff Gibson
-
David Clayton
- Posts: 190
- Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Geoff
Expect about 20 percent of your entries on the Monday and Tuesday after the late entry date, then 10 percent in the day.
It does depend on your late entry fee and policy.
As an organiser, I believe in high late entry fees to try and encourage people to enter early. Late entries cause you grief and extra expense, plus the possibility a player with a dubious grade may slip through the net to spoil the event for all the other players who enter in plenty of time.
Good luck.
David
Expect about 20 percent of your entries on the Monday and Tuesday after the late entry date, then 10 percent in the day.
It does depend on your late entry fee and policy.
As an organiser, I believe in high late entry fees to try and encourage people to enter early. Late entries cause you grief and extra expense, plus the possibility a player with a dubious grade may slip through the net to spoil the event for all the other players who enter in plenty of time.
Good luck.
David
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
I have had discussions about this in the past with various people
Would a site that offered online entry with payment via paypal or nochex for example be of use to people?
I considered setting one up before using standard shopping site software and then taking payments for various different congresses
Time is always at a premium of course but it could be done if enough interest was raised
Worth a thought?
Would a site that offered online entry with payment via paypal or nochex for example be of use to people?
I considered setting one up before using standard shopping site software and then taking payments for various different congresses
Time is always at a premium of course but it could be done if enough interest was raised
Worth a thought?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
Rapidplay entries
Having run the last 2 Lincoln Rapids I have found that late entry fees have very little effect - last tournament had 70 players with 26 entering in last 4 days and 3 on the day - btw Geoff if you ditch the late entry fee i will play and bring 2-3 more from Lincs with me 
Sharks 4NCL
-
Geoff Gibson
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am
- Location: DERBY
Your kind offer
Kevin,
Thanks for your kind offer.
If you enter and bring your friends with you, I will certainly waive the late entry fee. If you would kindly e-mail the details to:
[email protected]
I will make sure you're entered - you may even pay on the day if you're unable to send payment beforehand!
Geoff
(PS - 51 entries, 6 days to go - business is picking uip slowly!).
Thanks for your kind offer.
If you enter and bring your friends with you, I will certainly waive the late entry fee. If you would kindly e-mail the details to:
[email protected]
I will make sure you're entered - you may even pay on the day if you're unable to send payment beforehand!
Geoff
(PS - 51 entries, 6 days to go - business is picking uip slowly!).
Geoff Gibson
- Nigel Wright
- Posts: 246
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 pm
- Location: Derbyshire, England
- Contact:
Personally, I think that's a great idea - would it take much hassle to sort it out so that the charge is automatically raised when such time for late entry fees to be included comes?Carl Hibbard wrote: Would a site that offered online entry with payment via paypal or nochex for example be of use to people?
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.
I Drink therefore I am.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
I Drink therefore I am.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
- Nigel Wright
- Posts: 246
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 pm
- Location: Derbyshire, England
- Contact:
And Geoff, I'll be bringing potentially 10 players to the rapidplay, of whom you will probably meet on saturday too. I'm trying to get more than that, but it'll be mostly the juniors in the tournament on saturday who I can get.
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.
I Drink therefore I am.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
I Drink therefore I am.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
-
Geoff Gibson
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am
- Location: DERBY
Latest Update
Thanks everyone for your entries and offers of support - The total now stands at 60 (still 5 days left) so things are looking up a bit.
We still need some more players for the Premier (U200) though so if anyone knows any strong players looking for a tournament this weekend, please point them in my direction!
Geoff
We still need some more players for the Premier (U200) though so if anyone knows any strong players looking for a tournament this weekend, please point them in my direction!
Geoff
Geoff Gibson
-
Geoff Gibson
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am
- Location: DERBY
63 entries, 4 days left.
The Premier (U200) only has 7 at the moment, not enough to run a viable tournament.
Unless I receive another 3 by this evening, we will have to abandon that section, so if you know anyone who is thinking of/would be prepared to enter that section, please let me know urgently.
If we do need to abandon the Premier, I'll put a full announcement on the website/Ceefax and other outlets tonight.
Geoff
The Premier (U200) only has 7 at the moment, not enough to run a viable tournament.
Unless I receive another 3 by this evening, we will have to abandon that section, so if you know anyone who is thinking of/would be prepared to enter that section, please let me know urgently.
If we do need to abandon the Premier, I'll put a full announcement on the website/Ceefax and other outlets tonight.
Geoff
Geoff Gibson
-
Geoff Gibson
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am
- Location: DERBY
URGENT - PREMIER ABANDONNED
I have sadly to announce that, owing to a lack of entries, the Premier Section (U200) at the Derbyshire Rapidplay on 02 December has been abandonned.
All players eligible have been transferred to the Major (U155) section. The remainder will have their entry fees refunded shortly.
Please advise anyone you know ho planned to attend the above event to enter the Premier not to do so. The remaining 3 sections will take place as scheduled.
Please accept my apologies for any inconveneince caused.
Geoff Gibson
Organiser
All players eligible have been transferred to the Major (U155) section. The remainder will have their entry fees refunded shortly.
Please advise anyone you know ho planned to attend the above event to enter the Premier not to do so. The remaining 3 sections will take place as scheduled.
Please accept my apologies for any inconveneince caused.
Geoff Gibson
Organiser
Geoff Gibson
Derbys Rapid
Having recruited 2 players for the U200 plus me and one other for the U155 we will now all have to give it a miss as the driver is one of those in U200
thats why i kept last Lincoln one to 2 sections with more grading prizes
thats why i kept last Lincoln one to 2 sections with more grading prizes
Sharks 4NCL
-
Geoff Gibson
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am
- Location: DERBY
Apologies
Once again I offer my apologies to anyone affected by the decision not to proceed with the Premier (U200) section at Derbyshire Rapidplay on Sunday 02 December.
The decision was not taken lightly, but following two withdrawals from the Premier and no further entries during Thursday, it was apparent that the section was not viable, either financially or from a playing point of view.
All eligible players have been transferred to the Major (U155) section, which will takes place as advertised, along with the Intermediate and Minor sections.
Please advise anyone you know who has entered/is thinking of entering this event.
The decision was not taken lightly, but following two withdrawals from the Premier and no further entries during Thursday, it was apparent that the section was not viable, either financially or from a playing point of view.
All eligible players have been transferred to the Major (U155) section, which will takes place as advertised, along with the Intermediate and Minor sections.
Please advise anyone you know who has entered/is thinking of entering this event.
Geoff Gibson
-
Mick Norris
- Posts: 11402
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
- Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Re: URGENT - PREMIER ABANDONNED
Geoff, sorry to hear that, but hope the event goes well on SundayGeoff Gibson wrote:I have sadly to announce that, owing to a lack of entries, the Premier Section (U200) at the Derbyshire Rapidplay on 02 December has been abandonned.
Geoff Gibson
Organiser
We have 52 entries for Bury on Sunday 9 December (see Congress Diary section), we normally end up at about 100
Only 9 in the Open, one GM, but that tends to fill up later than the other sections and we have sponsorship to cover the cost
Mick
Any postings on here represent my personal views