Sports Psychology and Chess
-
Paul Cooksey
Sports Psychology and Chess
I recently watched this video on the importance of being in the right frame of mind when playing, and read this blog post in part about the difficulty of achieving it.
It is something I know is important to my own results, but find difficult to influence. So I was prompted to wonder if there was anything a chess player could take from sports psychology about mental preparation. There is a little bit on mental attitude in How to Think in Chess by Przewoznik and Soszynski, but generally the chess psychology books concentrate on how errors occur, rather than maximising a players performance (Rowson, Benko, et al)
Can anyone recommend any reading?
It is something I know is important to my own results, but find difficult to influence. So I was prompted to wonder if there was anything a chess player could take from sports psychology about mental preparation. There is a little bit on mental attitude in How to Think in Chess by Przewoznik and Soszynski, but generally the chess psychology books concentrate on how errors occur, rather than maximising a players performance (Rowson, Benko, et al)
Can anyone recommend any reading?
- Christopher Kreuzer
- Posts: 10996
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
- Location: London
Re: Sports Psychology and Chess
There are some books and other advice in these two threads:Paul Cooksey wrote:Can anyone recommend any reading?
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2848 (How to improve? - March 2011)
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2962 (The psychology of choking - April 2011)
For the first thread, read from around the bottom of page 7 onwards.
-
Paul Cooksey
Re: Sports Psychology and Chess
Thanks Christopher
I found this link looking for reviews of the ones I haven't read: My Chess Psychology Bookshelf
That said, I am fairly familiar with most of the chess literature on the subject, I was hoping to expand my horizons outside chess into generalist sports psychology, if anyone has any expertise.
I found this link looking for reviews of the ones I haven't read: My Chess Psychology Bookshelf
That said, I am fairly familiar with most of the chess literature on the subject, I was hoping to expand my horizons outside chess into generalist sports psychology, if anyone has any expertise.
-
Jonathan Bryant
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Re: Sports Psychology and Chess
There's a chapter at the end of Aagaard's Excelling at Chess that talks about this sort of thing.
The Abysmal Depths of Chess: https://theabysmaldepthsofchess.blogspot.com
- Rob Thompson
- Posts: 757
- Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm
- Location: Behind you
Re: Sports Psychology and Chess
If you read The Inner Game of Tennis, by W. Timothy Gallwey, that may help you with this
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.
-
Mark Hannon
- Posts: 73
- Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:53 am
Re: Sports Psychology and Chess
The best idea on chess and sports psychology is from this chap.
Check out this video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcN6QUe5 ... ata_player
Â
Check out this video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcN6QUe5 ... ata_player
Â
-
Louise Sinclair
- Posts: 258
- Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:29 am
- Location: London
Re: Sports Psychology and Chess
I think the basic philosophy of mind sports including chess and poker is to refuse to allow emotion to overcome logic. A poor mindset can turn a winning position into a perceived loss. It must also be important not to allow perceived views about opponents to colour judgement.
louise
louise
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'