Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8385
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Post by John Upham » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:35 am

1 e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5 4. c4 appears to have become flavour of the month in CK circles.

Has there been discussion of this in the literature?

I've seen brief mention in "Play the Caro-Kann", Houska
"Caro-Kann Defence : Advance Variation and Gambit System" by Podgaets.

Thanks!
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Keith Arkell
Posts: 1096
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:54 pm

It's a nuisance for us 3..c5 advocates,although I did see Ivanka win a nice game against it a few months back.

User avatar
Ben Purton
Posts: 1634
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Berks

Re: Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:46 pm

I play the Panov V the caro most of the time!. Keith plays g6 line V it, which you have to know with white to get any sort of edge. Otherwise you give up the d5 pawn for nothing and end up in IQP and little comp.
[i]I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night[/i] - Bill Hicks

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8385
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Post by John Upham » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 pm

Ben,

Do you play the double rook and pawn ending after 6. Sf3 Lg4 etc? Has the jury agreed that the ending is drawn yet?
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Ben Purton
Posts: 1634
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Berks

Re: Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:12 am

English annotations please. Well 90% of my FIDE games im happy with a draw.

Ben
[i]I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night[/i] - Bill Hicks

User avatar
Gavin Strachan
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
Contact:

Re: Caro-Kann Advance : 3..c5 4. c4!?

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:02 am

This particular line is like an accelarated variation version I have faced when people play the Short variation. I personally feel that DxC is a route and it can give the option of the f knight hitting going to f5 or d5. I am no GM, but play the Caro quite a bit. The pieces feel like they get tangled up a little and the knight coming to e7 leaves the c pawn. If white plays f4 then nh6 is good. It is a fun variation.

Post Reply