Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
-
David Sedgwick
- Posts: 5252
- Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
- Location: Croydon
- Contact:
Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Please see below for the match result sheet of Yorkshire v Middlesex in the 1936 Counties Championship Semi-Finals. It was unearthed by Rupert Jones in the Leeds Chess Club archives.
Please note that Middlesex won 8-4. On Board 1 H E Atkins and W Winter drew.
Please note that Middlesex won 8-4. On Board 1 H E Atkins and W Winter drew.
- Attachments
-
- Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936.jpg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
-
Leonard Barden
- Posts: 2044
- Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Could you supply a typed version of the names, David? I can decipher most of them, but not all.
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6662
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Board 2, AY Green (Supply) vs EG Sergeant (Inland Revenue) is an all Civil Service clash (although it might not have been then). Green later worked for Board of Trade and then Ministry of Aviation.
-
David Sedgwick
- Posts: 5252
- Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
- Location: Croydon
- Contact:
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
My copy isn't any clearer than the one in the attachment. I'll ask Rupert Jones, who has the original.Leonard Barden wrote: ↑Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pmCould you supply a typed version of the names, David? I can decipher most of them, but not all.
- Gerard Killoran
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
- Contact:
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Leonard Barden wrote: ↑Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pmCould you supply a typed version of the names, David? I can decipher most of them, but not all.
A 'miserable worm' - Nigel Short
-
Leonard Barden
- Posts: 2044
- Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Thanks for that.
I knew at least six of that Middlesex team. Was D I Croker, who I''ve never heard of, a relative of Eric Croker?
I knew at least six of that Middlesex team. Was D I Croker, who I''ve never heard of, a relative of Eric Croker?
- Gerard Killoran
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
- Contact:
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Identified by Britbase (BCF 1935) as Douglas Ian Croker of London.Leonard Barden wrote: ↑Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:16 amThanks for that.
I knew at least six of that Middlesex team. Was D I Croker, who I''ve never heard of, a relative of Eric Croker?
A 'miserable worm' - Nigel Short
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6662
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
I didn't spot it was "J" Bronowski, (also CS) but now realise, that the hand-written version was saying "Dr".
-
John Townsend
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Leonard, I have deduced, making use of Gerard's gen, that the two Crokers were not brothers or half-brothers, so the closest they could be is uncle/nephew or cousins.
-
Leonard Barden
- Posts: 2044
- Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Thanks, Gerard and John. Good research!
- Gerard Killoran
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
- Contact:
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
A 'miserable worm' - Nigel Short
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: Yorkshire v Middlesex 1936
Thanks, Gerard. I'd already collected that one - it was in The Times, 12 October 1936, page 8.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)