Cartoon

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
Paul McKeown
Posts: 3828
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hayes (Middx)

Cartoon

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:37 pm


Reg Clucas
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Re: Cartoon

Post by Reg Clucas » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:48 pm

My wife would lose on time!

User avatar
Dave Ewart
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: Cartoon

Post by Dave Ewart » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:15 am

"Marital row with the Chess World Champion" is the translation of the caption, I think.

Clive Blackburn

Re: Cartoon

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:31 am

I looked carefully but I couldn't see the Arbiter anywhere! :lol:

Brian Towers
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Cartoon

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:52 am

Dave Ewart wrote:"Marital row with the Chess World Champion" is the translation of the caption, I think.
"Chess IM" is probably a better translation of the literal "Chess World Master".
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Ian Thompson
Posts: 4270
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Cartoon

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Dave Ewart wrote:"Marital row with the Chess World Champion" is the translation of the caption, I think.
"Chess IM" is probably a better translation of the literal "Chess World Master".
I don't think so. Just do a Google search on "Schachweltmeister" and see whose names you get in the results.

Paul McKeown
Posts: 3828
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hayes (Middx)

Re: Cartoon

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:42 pm

"Schachweltmeister" means chess world champion, nothing else.

User avatar
Dave Ewart
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: Cartoon

Post by Dave Ewart » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:23 am

I agree that the caption would probably have been funnier if it _had_ translated as "Arguing with a grandmaster" or something less specific than "world champion".

We are dissecting the joke. It is now officially not funny any more. :-D

Brian Towers
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Cartoon

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Dave Ewart wrote:We are dissecting the joke. It is now officially not funny any more. :-D
Aha! Somebody with a German sense of humour!
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Post Reply