Cartoon
- Dave Ewart
- Posts: 80
- Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 pm
- Location: Oxford, UK
Re: Cartoon
"Marital row with the Chess World Champion" is the translation of the caption, I think.
-
Brian Towers
- Posts: 1266
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm
Re: Cartoon
"Chess IM" is probably a better translation of the literal "Chess World Master".Dave Ewart wrote:"Marital row with the Chess World Champion" is the translation of the caption, I think.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.
-
Ian Thompson
- Posts: 4270
- Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
- Location: Awbridge, Hampshire
Re: Cartoon
I don't think so. Just do a Google search on "Schachweltmeister" and see whose names you get in the results.Brian Towers wrote:"Chess IM" is probably a better translation of the literal "Chess World Master".Dave Ewart wrote:"Marital row with the Chess World Champion" is the translation of the caption, I think.
-
Paul McKeown
- Posts: 3828
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
- Location: Hayes (Middx)
Re: Cartoon
"Schachweltmeister" means chess world champion, nothing else.
- Dave Ewart
- Posts: 80
- Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 pm
- Location: Oxford, UK
Re: Cartoon
I agree that the caption would probably have been funnier if it _had_ translated as "Arguing with a grandmaster" or something less specific than "world champion".
We are dissecting the joke. It is now officially not funny any more.
We are dissecting the joke. It is now officially not funny any more.
-
Brian Towers
- Posts: 1266
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm
Re: Cartoon
Aha! Somebody with a German sense of humour!Dave Ewart wrote:We are dissecting the joke. It is now officially not funny any more.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.