ECF Press Office.

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Chris Majer
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:29 pm

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by Chris Majer » Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 pm

About eight years we had a Publicity Director. When he retired, we appointed a Marketing Director with the intention that he would appoint a Publicity Officer as part of his team. As far as I can remember he never found anybody and since then no one has ever been found.
:(
I'm sure that a volunteer would be gratefully received. :D
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

User avatar
Nigel Wright
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Derbyshire, England
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by Nigel Wright » Fri May 23, 2008 12:12 am

Chris Majer wrote:I'm sure that a volunteer would be gratefully received. :D
Now wouldn't that be nice... but where would we find one of those, is the question, unfortunately
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

User avatar
Greg Breed
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 am
Location: Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:57 pm

Give me a laptop, a broadband connection and a brief and I'll volunteer. :)

Oh, and a motorbike would be nice :wink:
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8378
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:38 pm

An open question to Ben Edgell :

Are you now contributing content to the ECF web site (which appears under your name)?
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Ben Purton
Posts: 1634
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Berks

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:38 pm

Upham, Why have you got that pic on all the websites. of me. Thats me playing for the old Slough 1 in division 1, when i was 16
[i]I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night[/i] - Bill Hicks

benedgell
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by benedgell » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Don't think the content's under my name, but certainly I'm contributing to the ECF Site. I missed the first week because I was away with the London Design Festival, but since then I've contacted every congress to get the results each Monday, and forwarded any results I was told about to the site. Also, I tried to do a short interview by email with each of the participants of the European Youth Championships. I only got one reply, and here's the link to it if you're interested.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=50

Of course any suggestion's as far as gaining chess publicity are very welcome.

Michele Clack
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:38 pm
Location: Worcestershire

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by Michele Clack » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:35 pm

That is an interesting interview with Matthew Wadsworth Ben. He looks to be a good prospect. I hope you carry on with this and hopefully as people get used to it it will get more responses.

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8378
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:19 pm

benedgell wrote:Don't think the content's under my name, but certainly I'm contributing to the ECF Site.
Ben,

If you speak with Andrew Walker he can set you up as a Joomla user allowing you to publish items yourself.

I think Lawrence works this way?
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

LozCooper

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by LozCooper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:23 pm

John Upham wrote:
benedgell wrote:Don't think the content's under my name, but certainly I'm contributing to the ECF Site.
Ben,

If you speak with Andrew Walker he can set you up as a Joomla user allowing you to publish items yourself.

I think Lawrence works this way?
I send my round-up to Andrew each week (normally on Tuesday after the latest TWIC is published) who then posts it to the site.

Lawrence

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8378
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:26 pm

There is a facility for registered users (that are granted permission) to publish their own material. I had hoped that this was being used.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

benedgell
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by benedgell » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Some good news to report. I got an email a week or so ago forwarded from Mark Rivlin, expressing an interest in helping the ECF with regards publicity. I thought it would be a great shame to turn away someone with many years experience in journalism and pr, and so offered to collaborate on the role of Publicity Officer with him. Mark accepted this offer, so as of a few days ago, we now have co- Publicity Officers. :D

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8378
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by John Upham » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Ben,

When an enquiry comes to the ECF Office and this enquiry is from the media, how is it currently handled?

In other words, The ECF might have multiple Publicity Officers but does it have at least one Press Officer? If so, who is it?
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

benedgell
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by benedgell » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Umm... good question. I would assume Stewart Reuben would be the person who the ECF contacts, but as I've no experience of this situation arising yet, it's purely a guess.

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8378
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by John Upham » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Ben,

Can you suggest to CG then whenever a media enquiry goes to the Office that your details are given out? The ECF web site needs updating to reflect this.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

benedgell
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: ECF Press Office.

Post by benedgell » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:03 am

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you on this, John. There is no press officer as such, but when media enquiries go to the Office, they are in the first instance forwarded to Stewart Reuben. I'd ideally like to deal with enquiries myself as part of the Publicity Officer role, but with work commitments I couldn't guarantee being available to answer them, especially if they need a response fairly swiftly.

Post Reply