Bye

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Post Reply
Tim Spanton
Posts: 1398
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am
Contact:

Bye

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:57 pm

THE ECF database of ungraded players has a Suffolk junior with the surname Bye and the first-name Filler. I assume Filler Bye is an error rather than the child of arguably over-enthusiastic chess parents …

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Michael Farthing
Posts: 2069
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Morecambe, Europe

Re: Bye

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:33 pm

I was greatly relieved to read the contents of your post, Tim.
The title strongly ressembled something coming from those about to desert the forum in a huff!

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8380
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Bye

Post by John Upham » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:55 pm

Tim Spanton wrote: ↑
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:57 pm
THE ECF database of ungraded players has a Suffolk junior with the surname Bye and the first-name Filler. I assume Filler Bye is an error rather than the child of arguably over-enthusiastic chess parents …

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/

I was rather hoping to see appearances from

AN Other
Walk Over
Dee Fault
and
For Feit

all various players in my LMS.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6385
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Bye

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:07 am

There isn't a Sue Dunham?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10566
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Bye

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:07 am

Heh
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

Roger Lancaster
Posts: 2059
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: Bye

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:38 am

I have a vague recollection from many years ago of the grading community becoming rather upset when it came to light that one of the English universities - and, mercifully, I forget which one - was submitting results from games said to have been played by Moggie Catt.

Post Reply