ECF Bans Russians

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Goodall

Re: ECF Bans Russians

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:13 am

John Upham wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:47 am
keywords: kettle, black, houses, glass, stones
He who is without sin should not live in a glass house? :D
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:47 am

Chris Goodall wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:13 am
John Upham wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:47 am
keywords: kettle, black, houses, glass, stones
He who is without sin should not live in a glass house? :D
That's the one!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:53 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:10 pm
South Africa had then a thoroughly reprehensible government
So it did, and yet not, then, the worst in the world, something that can also be said of the present Russian government. People who actualy recall the sporting boycott of South Africa should remember that it was about apartheid, and not, say, repression as such: the phrase often used then was that there could be no normal sport in an abnormal society. We should also remember that it was common to see, say, Gary Player or Clive Rice playing sport on television or even in person, because the boycott was of representative teams (and of tours to South Africa) and not of individuals who happened to be from that country. if anybody was forbidden from playing chess tournaments because they were South African, then it is news to me.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:23 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:10 pm
Whom does one contact?
Are FIDE still running ratings from Elista?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:57 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:23 pm
Are FIDE still running ratings from Elista?
Yes, but they are quite properly instructed to deal only with federation officials. Harassing them is unnecessary and unhelpful.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:03 pm

This is the first time I've been on the forum in some time, and it's still full of crazy people.

How can the ECF ban their own members, no matter what nationality they are ?

This is mental and anyone who agrees with it is mental. If you are allowed to be a member of anything, then you should be treated with respect.

You can't be held responsible for ANYTHING related to mad men making money out of war and destruction. Where was all the persecution of the American members when they started any of of their numerous invasions. It's all about profit and stop treating it otherwise. Grow up and do the research.

ALL WARS ARE STARTED FOR MONEY, and who do you think makes the money. The United Kingdom. We sell arms to both sides.

John Lennon once said "Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDf3vcvaRw4

No doubt, I'll get banned again (for telling the truth). Like I was when I told the truth about CCF. Howard Curtis still owns CCF and all it's businesses. Making money while you all sleep.
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:14 pm

An interesting New York Times article from a couple of weeks ago. It makes some good points as to why this war is different to the western conflicts of the last 80 years;
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/21/brie ... icana.html

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:17 pm

"So it did, and yet not, then, the worst in the world, something that can also be said of the present Russian government. People who actualy recall the sporting boycott of South Africa should remember that it was about apartheid, and not, say, repression as such: the phrase often used then was that there could be no normal sport in an abnormal society. We should also remember that it was common to see, say, Gary Player or Clive Rice playing sport on television or even in person, because the boycott was of representative teams (and of tours to South Africa) and not of individuals who happened to be from that country. if anybody was forbidden from playing chess tournaments because they were South African, then it is news to me."

Well said.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:44 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:14 pm
An interesting New York Times article from a couple of weeks ago. It makes some good points as to why this war is different to the western conflicts of the last 80 years;
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/21/brie ... icana.html
I can't see it but doubt that I am missing much. This one is different because somebody else started it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:58 pm

Paul Dupré wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:03 pm
Quite easily. It is actually one of the points of having a closed shop, restricting access to members only, that it gives officials the power to ban people.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:07 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:44 pm
This one is different because somebody else started it.
Spot on !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:33 pm

Paul Dupré wrote:
This is the first time I've been on the forum in some time, and it's still full of crazy people.

Since the legality of bans depends in the first instance on the ECF constitution, I assume it's the morality of banning members which Paul finds difficult. What morally-acceptable steps would he recommend the ECF instead takes to deal with, for example, habitual cheats and players who display violent (verbal or physical) behaviour towards others?

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:40 pm

I've always been anti-cheating, but what do you mean by violent verbal behaviour ?

My mum always said "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me".

Do you disagree ?

Any discrimination racial or political is bad, is it not...

That's what I find hard to take. Discrimination based where you were born. Are you going to ban me from playing in the Surrey League because I was born in Middlesex ???

For me it's distasteful full stop.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:02 pm

Paul Dupré wrote:
It's all about profit and stop treating it otherwise. Grow up and do the research.

ALL WARS ARE STARTED FOR MONEY, and who do you think makes the money. The United Kingdom. We sell arms to both sides.
Russia, the world's second-largest arms exporter with a defence industry that accounts for a fifth of its manufacturing sector, started a war so that their friends in the United Kingdom, which will be sent into recession by the resultant spiralling oil price, will be able to console themselves by giving away Javelin missiles to Ukraine to be used for destroying Russian tanks?

Are you sure?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:21 pm

I see Justin Horton affects the comical stand that no one banned South African sportsmen. Well it is true, of course. In most sports (not all) sportsmen were banned from playing in South African colours, and were not subject to bans for being South African. Which is what is happening here. No one is banning sportsmen or women for being Russian, rather sportsmen and women are banned from playing under Russian colours.

What makes it even more amusing is I recall, perhaps on another platform, said gentleman having about sanctions busters. I seem to recall Graham Gooch getting it in the neck. Consistency, of course, is for lesser mortals. I am occasionally also amused by the rightwingers who used to heckle and howl against the sanctions imposed on South Africa, who in the years subsequent to the fall of Apartheid suddenly would make out with straight faces that they had always been in favour of whatever brought about change.

Anyway, the cuckoo's nest here will continue as it does.

Rather than contributing further to the hilarity here, I shall instead be helping several families affected by these sanctions to re-flag. Currently helping one of five affected families understand the process - and very happy to note the kindness, courtesy and efficiency of the ECF officials involved in the process.