Playing IQP type positions?

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8385
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Playing IQP type positions?

Post by John Upham » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:49 am

I'm looking for modern treatments of the ideas involved in playing IQP positions.

I normally turn to Pachman in these situations but maybe there are good alternatives?

Can you make any recommendations?
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Leonard Barden
Posts: 2044
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Playing IQP type positions?

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:10 am

There are some suggestions, though just from the white side, in my 1980s book Play Better Chess.

User avatar
Andy Burnett
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Playing IQP type positions?

Post by Andy Burnett » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:05 pm

Play Better Chess is a fantastic book-the very first chess book I ever read and the main reason I got hooked on the game. Thank you Mr Barden!

Alexander Baburin's book 'Winning Pawn Structures' is devoted entirely to IQP positions. I haven't read it myself but it gets very good reviews. You can look at the Contents and view a short excerpt of it on Amazon.

Post Reply